Thursday, August 06, 2015

Two Bucks Short

Most successful whitetail hunters won't wait for leaves to drop before making a plan. Time spent pre-season scouting and patterning not only increase the odds it allows more time to be spent outdoors which is the best part for me. I like to set up trail cams in at least late July to see who is hanging around.

First, I stay out of the woods. Carousing the denser woods this time of year not only makes human presence more known the bugs are intolerable. Driving or walking around the field perimeter looking for tracks entering and leaving the woods helps identify the best used trails. It is here where some irresistible bait will be placed to draw the animals off their trail close enough to the camera to get some shots. This year I am using some mineral salt blocks and hulled corn.

Looks like two fine young gentlemen showed up last week looking for an appetizer.



The one in the frame is an eight pointer with the felt still on his rack. My guess is he could be a 2-3 year old. The antlers are well developed but trophy hunters would take a pass on this guy.


Since I am not a trophy hunter this buck would go down without a second thought. While not a trophy it is a respectable buck and I would be very pleased to have bagged it. 

But wait, there's more.


Off to the left of the frame was a buck that appears to be about the same size. This one has a fuller more well developed rack. Here's a closer view.


Off to the left of the frame was a buck that appears to be about the same size. This one has a fuller more well developed rack. Here's a closer view.

If this scene presented itself on opening day it poses a hard choice for the hunter: Do I take the closer buck because it poses an easy kill or be patient and wait for the buck with the larger rack to come within range and pose a broadside shot?

II could sit quiet and motionless waiting but something else may spook both of them and I end up with nothing to take home but a memory.

Since I hunt meat first I would take the first shot, go home and fill the freezer. A buck in the freezer is worth two in the bush.


No comments: