Wednesday, August 26, 2015

Big Wheel Keep On Turnin'

In the past revolvers didn't interested me much. Lately I grown to admire the revolver. They have earned my respect.

I often recommend them to my elderly female customers looking for home and carry protection. Female customers come in and light up when they see these laser equipped adorable little semi-autos such as the Ruger LCP or the S&W Bodyguard in .380acp. These get their attention. Usually a husband or friend has recommended one. If we happen to stock one in a pink or raspberry color it becomes harder to swing them away.

When a lady asks to see one I will explain the operation and demonstrate how to load them (without ammunition of course). When handed over to them for their examination my first request is to have them operate the slide. Often, especially if there is any arthritis present, their hands are too weak to rack the slide since the spring resistance may be to much for them.

If they understand the operation, pass the slide test and like the feel of it in the hand we move on to the background check upon making the decision to purchase. If not my suggestion is for them to consider a short barrel revolver in .38 special such as the Ruger LCR or a double action S&W Chief Special which sports an ultra lightweight aluminum frame.

Some of the time they understand and go with a revolver. It makes me feel better since the revolver is simple and requires little dexterity for swift operation. My goal always is to fit the person with the best possible protection for their needs and experience level.


Last Sunday it was my privilege to handle and shoot the most powerful revolver in the world. It made my day.


The Smith & Wesson 500 is a beast. This is a .50 caliber revolver that costs over $1,000.



We were at the farm checking and setting our trail cams. The bro invited a young second cousin who had recently inherited some awesome firepower and he knows how to use them. I couldn't wait to pull that trigger.

The barrel length is slightly over 8". The frame, cylinder and barrel dwarfed the grip. Casey's dad purchased it for whatever reason but this 500 was engineered for one main purpose - hunting. While it could be used for home protection carrying one would present some issues. It's over 70 ounces and it would print easily even in a shoulder holster under a jacket. Here s a full image with some .50 caliber rounds and a 9mm round for comparison.


I trust Harry Callahan would have had no problem with it IF was available back in the late 70's it could easily have been his choice for a duty weapon in the shorter barrel variant.

The cylinder holds five rounds so his famous quote would have been, "The question you have to ask is did he fire five shots or only four? With all the excitement I kind of forgot myself".

Young cousin Casey handed me five enormous cartridges. I loaded, pulled back the hammer and let loose.


The recoil was not as bad as anticipated but he muzzle flip was formidable. One may master the flip for a quick second shot with a lot of training and practice but not for me on this warm summer Sunday morning with a limited ammunition supply (ammo goes for over a dollar a round).

This is the most powerful handgun in my personal experience. Prior to that it was the S&W .44 Magnum. For a rifle it was the 300 WinMag. That one put a serious hurt on my shoulder.

Shooting OPG's (Other People's Guns) allows me to experience something I would have otherwise not. It's what makes Gunstock™, our annual blog event enjoyable. We all share.  Everyone has the chance to experience something different.

A huge thanks to Casey for putting a big grin on my face last Sunday. 

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Gerry,

I've designed my home arsenal around 9mm semi-auto handguns and 30.06 long guns. My bride though seems to have a tough time working the slide on the semi autos. To get around that, I'm thinking of adding revolvers to the mix. I think they have advantages with regard to reliability/simplicity....most likely will go with a .45 ACP option for the stopping power.

Cheeze Kopf

Dan from Madison said...

I shot one of those beasts a few years ago and ended up in about the same position as you did looking at the photo with the muzzle flip.

That same day, I also shot a Thompson Arms single shot pistol, loaded up with a .375 JDJ home load. I think this thing is meant to shoot cape buffalo or elephants. My hand ended up pointing straight up in the air after that one. It was pretty horrifying. One was enough of that.

Gerry from Valpo said...

Welcome Mr. Cheeze,

May I suggest the .45 Colt (also known as the .45 Long Colt) cartridge for revolver use if your desire is firepower. The .45ACP was designed for use in auto loaders. ACP stands for Automatic Colt Pistol. There are revolvers available for use of the .45 ACP but you will need to load and reload the cylinder using special moon clips.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moon_clip

I report, you decide : )

Jonathan said...

That's nothin. Ever try the .88 magnum? It shoots through schools.