Monday, May 25, 2015

Visiting Gerry at the Range

Gerry put up a great post about the Indiana outdoor range near his house a couple years' ago which is great especially for Memorial Day check it out here.  In the post he explains the history of the range and the cool setup, especially for someone from Illinois who knows his state wouldn't dream of doing something like this.

My Glock was jamming and although my dad diligently cleans it out Gerry disassembled it (I love the Glock diagram, too) and cleaned out all the parts including the ejector and now it fires like a dream.


At the range Gerry fired his Russian rifle for the first time.  It amazes me that this rifle from 1938 (it has the date imprinted on the barrel) made it all these years and he used the Russian ammo which can be purchased for a veritable song.


Here are the sights and Gerry's still working out the targeting.  We laughed because the gentleman next to us had a semi automatic AR15 type weapon and he was shooting next to us not only with no scope but with NO SIGHTS.  At 50 yards he was probably not even hitting anywhere near the targets and bringing it to a range like that was pointless.


Boy did that rifle have a kick.  I shot three rounds (no where near the target) and my shoulder was aching.

Thanks to Gerry for fixing my Glock and some time this summer I will come down with my dad and Gerry can help by disassembling his Glock, too, and we can go to the $4 shooting range and have some fun.  It was a beautiful day and we couldn't have asked for better weather.  And read Gerry's post that I referenced (here it is again) for the history of the range.

3 comments:

Gerry from Valpo said...

Your Gen 3 G17 suffered from failure to eject.

The extractor claw and firing pin safety mechanism were the culprit. They were caked with carbon.

Easy sleazy.

Dan from Madison said...

This reminds me that I need to tear down pretty much all of my firearms for cleaning. Sounds like a great day!

creakypavillion said...

While I was reading this post I made a bet with myself of who (out of 2 remaining bloggers here) is the author.

I lost.

Who woulda thought!