Saturday, April 04, 2015

Gift Card Drainer Tip

Over the holidays my daughter went to London on a trip with her band and marched in the New Years Day parade.  As Christmas presents, her grandparents wanted to send her over with some spending money.  I didn't trust her with cash and didn't want her to incur the expense and hassle of currency exchange, so we bought her prepaid VISA gift cards.  When they got spent down, there was a couple bucks left on each.  What do to.

It is difficult to transfer the funds to a bank account without incurring expenses.  I found out that Amazon will allow you to purchase a "gift card" for yourself in any amount.  We just did that for all of the gift cards and it worked very quickly and to perfection so we were able to drain the cards and can now cut them up and use the funds.

8 comments:

Carl from Chicago said...

That is a pretty good idea. I also am starting to use "Amazon Pay" when it is available - it just puts it on my Amazon bill kind of like PayPal. But I don't use much PayPal because I didn't want to hook them up to my bank account. Amazon doesn't ask you to do that.

Dan from Madison said...

I like PayPal for instances when we are buying things from a not so verified party - example - my wife buys horse gear or vet services and a lot of these people don't have secure websites and I hate writing checks (see post above).

And back a few years ago I was buying old gun parts from Switzerland. Same deal.

Dan from Madison said...

By the way, you can use PayPal without a bank account. Just upload cc information instead.

Carl from Chicago said...

Does paypal make you eventually link it to a bank account? They used to pester me to do that so I gave up on them. But I probably should go back and look if you are saying that isn't the case anymore.

Dan from Madison said...

No clue but worth looking at.

creakypavillion said...

Good of them (Amazon).

Re: prepaid VISA card. Are you able to track online your balance? Otherwise it is kinda easy to get carried away with one's purchases.

Dan from Madison said...

Yes you can track your balance for the gift cards online. That is how I knew exactly how much to drain into Amazon to bring the balance to zero.

creakypavillion said...

Cool, will keep it in mind. Tks!