Wednesday, February 25, 2015

What I want(ed) for Xmas...

Growing up my sister had a copy of the "Fabulous Furry Freak Brothers" comics and the spinoff "Fat Freddy and His Cat". These comics, to me, were the height of strangeness - three down and out and strange stoners in a filthy apartment in San Francisco, along with their persistent and curious cat.

It was very hard to find these comics back then - there was no internet, and you had to find a comic book store that carried them.  Most comic book stores liked typical superheroes and these comics were far from that.


Later on I started to understand that there was a bunch of writers with similar, experimental styles including of course Robert Crumb, a man with strange tastes in women and a singular weirdness.  The biography "Crumb" is definitely worth watching, especially when you meet his two brothers who are even nuttier.  Williams, who drew the original "App*tite for Destruction" cover for Guns' N R*ses (which was banned and replaced with the new cover you see today) is also part of this group.

This box set of all the Zap Comix is available for $350 on Amazon.  I am trying to get rid of lots of my books but I may have to get this in physical form.

2 comments:

Gerry from Valpo said...

Freak Brothers was by Gilbert Shelton. I have six original issues in great shape. Fat freddy's cat was always taking a crap in Freewheelin' Frank's headphones. When time permits I will scan and publish a few of my favorite frames.

No Zap Comix anymore (don't know what happened to those) but there is a large coffee table book of R.Crumb's work on my shelf.

Carl from Chicago said...

Ha ha I forgot about taking a crap in the headphones.

When this damn weather dies down in April I will come down to the country bunker and we can have a couple of brews and read through the old issues it will be a hoot.