Monday, August 11, 2014

Lori's Amish Peanut Butter Cookies

Continuing on the theme of recipes from my grandmother's recipe box, today we have Lori's Amish Peanut Butter Cookies.

I honestly have no idea why these are "Amish" - I guess Lori got the recipe from an Amish woman somewhere along the way.

First off, the ingredients:

1.5 cups shortening
4 tsp vanilla
2 cups crunchy peanut butter
2 cups sugar
5 cups flour
1 tsp salt
2 cups brown sugar
3 tsp baking soda
2 tsp baking powder
4 eggs, well beaten

There were no instructions on this card, so I just began mixing stuff together.  I finally used my grandmother's old standing mixer, pictured below.
I am guessing it is from the 60's but don't really know.  It is a heavy beast - that much I do know.

As you can see from the ingredient list above, this recipe is GIANT.  It barely all fit in the mixing bowl, and I needed to use my hands at times to prevent all of the batter from overflowing, but it all worked out in the end.

The card then said make loose balls with a tablespoon and flatten them with a sugared cup.  Bake @350 for 8-10 minutes.  I made mine a little larger and ended up with about 85 cookies.  Here are most of them.

These are outstanding and will not last long.

Cross posted at ChicagoBoyz.

No comments: