Tuesday, July 15, 2014

"The Trooper" Beer and Iron Maiden

Recently I was wandering through the gargantuan "Binny's" liquor store in my River North neighborhood when I came across this beer which I was compelled to purchase.



The Trooper! Iron Maiden beer! I have to hand it to Bruce Dickinson, the lead singer of Iron Maiden, he really has a lot of interesting hobbies. I remember being a kid and was amused to see photos of him fencing and later he piloted the aircraft for recent Iron Maiden tours. The label said that Dickinson had a hand in this brew.

Recently someone I know took an improv class and one of their exercises involved singing a song from memory in front of their fellow classmates. It takes a bit to think about what songs you know from memory.

For me, the song that comes to mind is "The Number of the Beast" from the album of that same name, with the spoken word intro from the bible that begins with "Woe to you, o' Earth and Sea, for the Devil sends the beast with wrath, because he knows the time is short..." I carved that into a desk in middle school somewhere, and it took a lot of effort and thought to do that. No idea why, however.

The Trooper is a close second.
You'll take my life but I'll take yours too
You'll fire your musket but I'll run you through
So when you're waiting for the next attack
You'd better stand there's no turning back.
I had the beer and it wasn't half bad, too! I will need to bring some to Soldier Field so Dan can try it out at the next Bears' tailgate. He can regale us with stories of how he won a "live karaoke" band contest singing Maiden songs...

2 comments:

Dan from Madison said...

That Trooper beer is awesome. Get some for the next Bear game for sure. I found out I will not be making the opener, however will go to more games to make up for it before the temps get stooopid.

Jonathan said...

I would buy that and I don't even drink beer.