Saturday, November 23, 2013

My Dream Car... and Dreams Deferred


I was going through some old pictures on my iPhone when I noticed this photo of a Nissan GTR that I took last summer in Michigan.  Usually I blur out the license plate in a photo but figured that since this guy had a vanity plate he wouldn't care, anyways.

Whether the GTR is the "fastest" car around or merely extremely fast is an academic exercise... in any case it is about as fast a car that you could buy for day to day driving that is street legal.  The car is also reasonably practical, with decent ground clearance, a trunk and a (tiny) back seat, and I've seen them driving around Chicago even in winter.

The car costs roughly $100,000.  I looked at the 2008-9 models and used the car costs about $70,000, so they hold their value reasonably well.  Virtually all autos depreciate down to zero but some cars actually hold their value due to a different type of audience, and this car has a chance to do so.

And yet... of course I haven't bought one.  It would be totally impractical for me likely because I am not a great driver and have no experience with a high performance auto - I would probably run it into a wall in our parking garage or spin it out in the street.  But I could buy it and put it in a garage somewhere in the country and take it out every so often for a ride...

Why the GTR?  I think it looks really cool.  And it sounds great.  And I have owned Nissans for many years and they have been very reliable, so I figured that if I ever was going to buy an expensive car, I didn't want it to be an ongoing money pit (cue the violins for my 1994 BMW 740IL).

But looks like another year of dreams deferred.

6 comments:

Gerry from Valpo said...

Go for it Carl. Get yourself a slick ride, man. You deserve one.

Carl from Chicago said...

I will wait until I have a place in the countryside to store it and drive around. You had that great little Mazda and it was fun to drive.

Dan from Madison said...

I know a guy with some storage space...

Randee Colton @ CapitolHillExxon.com said...

After reading all the information that you shared here, I can fully understand why you dreamed for a Nissan GTR. Running up to 193 mph, It's indeed a fast car! Best for rushing to a meeting, right? Hehe! Kidding aside, I do hope you'll drive your own GTR this 2014. And don't forget to buzz me when you already do. :)

Horace Norman said...

Go for what you want. If it's a Nissan GTR, then purchase it. Just make sure you have enough means to provide its maintenance and other needs. Also, do improve your driving skills, as you will need a lot of it to control a fast car like this.

-Horace Norman @ BrandonDodgeOnBroadway

Byron Walters said...

While you have the source of income, you also have the chance to own your dream car. My friend drives a GTR, and I had the chance to get behind the wheel of it once. Mind you, it was a smooth and fun ride. I think I'll buy that car too someday. Hehe! For now, I have to pay for my Subaru first. Hope you'll get your dream car this coming 2014! :)

Byron Walters @ BobDunnSubaru.com