Sunday, January 06, 2013

Apple Continues for Carl...

Gerry has been a long, long time Apple user and a satisfied customer. I started off with an Apple II in junior high and high school but switched over to Microsoft in college (as I began doing business programming) and then worked with / built Microsoft applications all through the 1990's and into the 2000's.

Recently I bought a MacBook Pro and started converting over from Microsoft. I still have my Microsoft PC (running Windows 7, I'm staying away from Windows 8 for the foreseeable future) since that has a lot of my data and some applications that don't work on Apple (like Quicken) but I spend more and more time on my MacBook. If I had it to do all over again I would have gotten a MacBook Air instead, since I never use the DVD drive and don't need the network port since I'm always on wireless (and you can get a USB network adapter if you need to connect by hard network wire). I thought (erroneously) that the Air didn't have the thunderbolt out which isn't true - I use that to hook my Mac up to my Samsung TV in an HDMI port and it looks fantastic.

This post is being written on my iPad. I bought an iPad (3rd generation) for overseas travel along with a Logitech keyboard (to protect the screen as well as to speed typing, and it is HIGHLY recommended) instead of bringing my laptop along. I am slowly converting over to the iPad for everything related to work including email and calendaring and related items. There are things you can't do on the iPad (like work with excel files, although you can read them) but the iPad isn't made to replace your computer all the time, just most of the time. I also am moving away from paper (WSJ) to the electronic versions and using my iPad for that, along with books.

For books - there is the iBooks through Apple which work fine, but their selection is relatively limited, especially if your book selections focus on the Attack on Taranto and other generally obscure types of interests like mine. For that I use the Kindle app on the iPad. You can also use Kindle on the MacBook Pro and share books there, since (astonishingly) I can't seem to figure out how to use iBooks on the MacBook Pro (I don't think you can). Dan went electronic on books first, for me it has been slower, but now it is inevitable. It was a bit sad not getting a big pile of physical books for Christmas, though, since that has been a big part of my holidays for as long as I can remember.

I recently bought a printer (all in one) by Epson called the Workforce 545. This printer comes with iPrint which lets you route documents from your iPhone or iPad or MacBook directly to the printer, wirelessly. Until the latest IOS 6 upgrade (also, astonishingly) you had to get a third party application to print. The printer was about $125 and works great - I highly recommend that you just throw your old printer out and buy a new one with this technology rather than trying to jerry-rig it some other way. Also the inks are cheaper with the new printers since they are more efficient so it can pay for itself right away.

Dan is joining the technology arms race - he recently chucked his blackberry for a new Android phone which is like switching from a rickshaw to a Porsche (although some kind of miss the tactile keyboard from time to time). Probably a new laptop or Ipad is on the way or he'll stick with the Kindle Fire.

Gerry beat us there first, although he doesn't seem like a big smart phone guy :).

4 comments:

Gerry from Valpo said...

Why not try using bootcamp on Mac for your PC applications?

http://www.apple.com/findouthow/mac/#windowsmac

Your Mac already has it installed. Let me know how or if it works because I have been immunized from being inflicted with the dreaded windoze bacteria decades ago.

I don't always use a computer. But when I do I prefer Apple. Stay digital my friends.

Dan from Madison said...

I have to get a pad of some sort so I can work on spreadsheets and other things from home - so it has to have a keyboard. The Kindle just won't do it. I am seriously taking a look at the Microsoft Surface but I am going to try out all the tablets first. A requirement is a stand, so I can stand the tablet up and work on the keyboard like a traditional laptop and the Surface has all of that built in. But we will see.

Dan from Madison said...

I should add that I probably would have ended up with an iPhone but their service provider here is Verizon (I think) and it is awful in rural areas. So I had to stick with US Cellular and that meant an android type phone.

Carl from Chicago said...

Lots of people say the android phones are better than the apple ones anyway.

As far as running windows on the Mac, I don't have to do that for a while because we will have a couple of windows machines at home for a few years at least.

It will be smart for Mac world to get versions of those last few actual useful consumer programs on the mac that don't exist yet - which would probably be a decent version of quicken.