Monday, January 09, 2012

Old Man Winter

Is he dead, or what??

Fabulous January weather we’re having. Only started the snowblower once and that was to get it ready in late October, preparing it for the dark days. Changed the oil and greased her up good. So far, we have had two snowfalls each less than 2”.

I am not that old that I can’t manually shovel a 2”snowfall.

The heating (utility) bill is lower and the woodpile has not been depleted except for two fires at Christmas.

Life is good. And the dog’s life is good too.


Dot had some big paws to fill and so far she has filled them well at two years old.

I am a bit different from most serious pointing dog owners. There are many who believe in keeping their dog(s) outside all year. They claim having a dog in the home ruins their nose. I call bullsh!t.

My dog must not only hunt (she does), she needs to be a lovable house pet. Dot is both. She’ll sit on my footstool or lap until I need another beer or to let one go. It makes me feel guilty to get up and displace this peaceful and loving pup at rest. She will sit there for hours resting on my leg, having fallen asleep for a while only to awaken and find she's still there. Friends who own cats claim Dot is more of a cat than a dog. Well, they should see her hunt.

Who needs a warm fire when all I need is a warm, soft bird dog, some cotton sweats, comfy slippers and watching Tim Tebow beat those awful Stiller heathens from the east?

Do I get an amen?

5 comments:

Terry from Crown Point said...

AMEN!

Dan from Madison said...

I don't remember and am too lazy to look it up, do you fix bird dogs?

Gerry from Valpo said...

If it ain't broke, I don't fix it.

Gerry from Valpo said...

Seriously, spaying or neutering (if that's what you meant) a pointing dog slows them down quite a bit and they lose stamina. Most hunters delay it as long as possible. In addition, doing so causes any dog to gain excessive weight. We are considering getting Dottie mated and having puppies in a year or two. None of my dogs have ever been sterilized.

Dan from Madison said...

Yep that is what I was talking about, thanks. Cattle get weight gain after neutering as well.