Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Shifting Goalposts

Today I finished the last of a "six pack" of private lessons with my Muay Thai instructor. I felt that my basics were starting to lack. Sure I can do a spinning backfist and all that stuff, but I was having trouble with a standard cross (ours is actually an overhand hybrid) and basic rear thai kick. We started at the beginning and broke everything down.

I look friecking great now, if I don't say so myself. We have a test just a little under a month away and I will ace it. Of that I am sure. All the techniques are learned already, as are the drills and our flow for the block. This six pack of lessons really put a ribbon on everything. After this test, I will have received my third level brown sash. Next step, black.

So I asked the instructor - what next? I will be on a probationary period for up to one year, at which time I will have a black sash test. With the whole academy present. And I have to write an essay. And probably read it to the academy. And a bunch of other stuff. Really?

A lot of this wreaks of TKD - as a reminder, traditional (i.e. real) MT does not have a ranking system. I have talked about that at length in many other posts.

The academy has only one other black sash, and he was simply granted his at a seminar one day. I guess the goalposts have moved. You know what though? Fuck it. Bring it on. Make it as tough as possible. I don't care. I will do it.

There is a chance that I will be going through this ordeal with one or perhaps two others. It looks as though it is going to be a BIG deal.

I am pretty sure that my instructor does not know that I have written hundreds of thousands of words about my experiences in MT here on this blog. That will make the essay portion of the test pretty easy for me anyway.

For the essay, I am pretty sure I have that knocked down. All I need to do is re-read a few of my posts here and I will have it.

I have no clue what the test itself will look like or feel like. I guess I will find out when I get there sometime later next year. Maybe all of these plans I heard about today will be scuttled. Ah well. I don't plan on asking about it anymore. Sort of like asking your coach to put you into the game. You just don't do it.

No comments: