Tuesday, May 03, 2011

Never Heard Of Him

Back in the mid 90’s a co-worker informed me that I resembled an author of some books he had read. He handed me a book called Rogue Warrior.

As I glanced at the photos in the book there was this guy who resembled me somewhat, but so did many other men with beards and long hair. It wasn't the first time someone told me I looked like someone they knew.

So I read the book. It was one of those can’t-put-it-down books.

When I was returned the book Allan handed me a second book called Red Cell, by the same author. It was a good read as well.

Both were non-fiction books detailing the exploits of Richard Marcinko, one of the original Navy Seals in his own words. Demo Dick, he referred to himself. While we shared kind of a resemblance, the only thing Dick and I have in common is our fondness for Bombay Gin and Glocks and the HK MP5. Marcinko describes his experiences within and outside of the battle zone in graphic detail and in a very entertaining way. Yes, truth is much better than fiction.

Here’s Dick at the Shot Show engraving a machete patterned after one he took off of a dead V.C..



Having shrugged off the resemblance thing, on occasion, while working downtown, individual strangers would approach me and tell me I resembled this guy. It happened to me at least half a dozen times. Twice I was asked if my name was Marcinko. I should have been flattered but was in a hurry and too surprised to make any small talk with strangers so my reply was, "never heard of him" just to end the conversation.

I once wrote Dick an email after having found his address on his website and told him of my experiences.

Dick wrote back to me. His response was a simple “You poor bastard, I wouldn’t wish that on anyone”.

Since I shaved off my hair any confusion has ended.

I was reminded of Dick on Monday morning when word came out that Seal Team 6 was credited with killing OBL. Congratulations on a job well done by America's best of the best.

Dick initiated and trained the original Seal Team 6 after serving a few tours in Vietnam.

Read these books. It's the next best thing to being there, they’re very, very good.

No comments: