Sunday, February 20, 2011

Rotunda Report

I posted this at Chicago Boyz last night, thought I should post it here as well. I went down to the Capitol Building here in Madison.

The time was around 8pm Saturday when I was down there. The streets around the capitol are all open. Foot traffic is a bit above normal. There are the odd one or two people here and there walking around outside with signs. I ran into the typical amount of drunk college kids. There is a LOT of trash around the capitol building. The streets department has simply left the barricades on the streets around the capitol so they can just slide them over tomorrow or Monday for the next round of rallies. The cops and everyone else will probably get a break tomorrow as we have a major snow and ice storm scheduled for Sunday. That will no doubt keep the crowds down a bit.

Inside the capitol there were quite a few people, but fewer than I expected. I was able to walk right up to the center of the rotunda, where people were yelling and banging drums. The volume is absolutely terrifying. The sound in the rotunda is good – it was louder on the upper levels. I have no idea how the people in there can stand it. It would drive me totally bananas. I don’t know how anyone will sleep in there tonight, but people are bedding down.

It appeared that members of the UW band were the drummers. The vast majority of the people I saw there were either college kids or dead enders.

Most of the people who looked like they were bedding down for the night were college kids. Someone was delivering free pizzas (boy did those look nasty) to the protesters. They also had bottled water there. I took one to deplete my enemies’ supplies.

The bathrooms were surprisingly clean. I have seen much worse at Soldier Field.

The entire capitol building is covered in signs. They are taped all over the place. It looks like shit.

I have tons of photos and video I will upload in the coming days.

1 comment:

Carl from Chicago said...

You are the man on the ground! Keep up the great work here and over at Chicago Boyz.