Thursday, September 30, 2010

Another Test Done

Last night I earned my Brown Sash in Muay Thai. All that is left is a stripe on the brown sash, then another one, then the Black Sash. The end of the sash rankings. That should take me a few more years, which will put me at a total of around six years of practicing Muay Thai two or three times a week to earn it.

Last nights test was similar to the others, with a few little wrinkles.

I am banged up much more than usual this morning from this test. During the part where our instructor asks us to show the techniques we have learned over the past few months, my partner was being unusually aggressive. We all know how to pull kicks and punches and how to fake knees, but he was hitting me pretty hard in all areas. Eventually I got sick of it and asked him why he was so amped up. We were just doing demos and showing techniques, not (supposedly) trying to kill each other. He wasn't responding to my liking so I "accidentally" kneed his kidney once real hard with a barn door and that got the message across I think.

Here is a nice video of a demo of this technique, around 40 seconds.



I think he just got caught up in the moment because he is a good friend of mine and I have known him for a long time.

All of the technique questions and demos went pretty well. The sparring was really jacked up though. Everyone, including myself was running at a very high level during sparring and I am feeling it today. It was as close to an actual fight as I will ever get, unless subsequent tests feature more of the same. It was scary, refreshing and very intense all at the same time. I just wanted to survive, score my points and get out of there.

Well, as always I am glad it is over. As a new feature at the gym, we get to spend the last three months of this year working on basic fundamentals, something I have been looking forward to for a very long time. I think it is a good plan as the holidays always screw up everything at the end of the year, and it is always good to go back to basics.

No comments: