Friday, August 13, 2010

Canarble Time!

A while back when my dad was here he brought a bottle of tequila and some liquid margarita mix. I love margaritas but shy away from most mixes, They are way too sweet and sour to me but I had a few.

Yesterday I noticed that half-bottle of tequila he left behind in my liquor cabinet. It looked back at me and just screamed:

MAKE A TEQUILA SUNRISE BUTTHEAD!!


Yes, I like a good ol’ retro drink like the tequila sunrise. I never follow bar guide recipes because they end up being way to sweet to me. If made properly this is a fine summertime evening screen porch cocktail.

Here is a palatable recipe for a great sunrise that is not too sissified or Parrot-Headed.

Fill glass with ice. Pour in tequila halfway. Fill the rest with OJ. Add the slightest dash of grenadine for color and flavor but not too much. In a well-made sunrise the tequila flavor will be dominant.

There’s no need for top shelf tequilas in a sunrise, that's alcohol abuse. The cheaper stuff like Cuervo works just fine.

Just the way I like it.

1 comment:

Chris from Colorado said...

Way back when, I believe we made a drink called a 'Tequila Mockingbird', basically a Tequila Sunrise.

Man, it seems things were so simple back then, and fun.