Thursday, July 22, 2010

Tilt-A-Whirl at Dane County Fair

It has been a long, long time since I put up a Tilt-A-Whirl post!

Last week I went to the Dane County Fair with my youngest while the wife and oldest were away doing other things. We had a great time. I always have fun at fairs. The latest and greatest are bogus nerve analysis machines folded into chiropractic sales gimmicks. Nothing like a good scam to get me laughing.

They had this Tilt-A-Whirl in the midway. I walked around the entire machine but could not find a serial number plate.
This model was clearly newer than many I have blogged about in the past.
It had a simple push button operation instead of the manual levers that take a little more skill to operate. You can see how enthused this carnie is.
While this one was more decked out than others I have photographed I find the older, junkier ones are certainly more interesting from a mechanical and historical standpoint.
Last year I think was the last time I will ride the beast though. I remembered getting off and almost puking on the spot. My body was definitely telling me something. The kid had to ride solo this year. She still loved it.

5 comments:

Carl from Chicago said...

Too bad they simplified it. I like the older mechanical type machines.

Funny that you can run around and take punches but don't want to spin in a circle.

This from a guy that can't turn over even once without getting vertigo I can't ever go on any of those rides because of inner ear balance stuff.

Jonathan said...

Go for a tilt-a-whirl ride with your goat. Then tell us how tough you are.

Dan from Madison said...

ain't that the truth wrt the goat.

Carl - it isn't spinning around in a circle, it is spinning around in a circle that is itself also spinning around in a circle. Used to be able to handle it much better.

Gerry from Valpo said...

That thing looks like a mutant easter egg basket.

Dan from Madison said...

It is pretty damned ugly.