Sunday, June 20, 2010

Grilling Again

Call it Shish-Ka-Bob, Shishke-Bab or Sheesh K’Bob. Whatever you call this it’s a simple replication of an ancient way to make an entire meal over an open flame.


Without googling or wiki-ing I already know that centuries ago travelers, hordes and armies needed an easy way to cook an easy complete meal over the evening fire. It is said that they used their swords to skewer meat, root vegetables and whatever happened to be available and then held it over an open flame until cooked.

Feasts happen.

One reason I have not written about food for a while is because I have been in a rut. But a good rut. It’s been the same old, same old (really great) food I have documented before so there was no reason to write about the same recipes once again (see right sidebar: food).

K’bobs (as I like to call them) are not something we cook often. Mainly due to seasonings or marinades that failed to impress me in the past. Recently I found one well worth passing along.


Southwest Marinade

¼ cup vegetable oil
2-3 T minced cilantro (just eye-ball it)
5 cloves garlic finely chopped or pressed
2 chipotle chiles with adobo minced
1 t salt
½ t black pepper
½ t cumin
½ t chili powder

Whisk ingredients together and pour over large chunks of sirloin in a big zipper bag, press out air and seal. Refrigerate 1-6 hours, longer is better.


I still like bamboo skewers better than metal. Mine get soaked in water at least two hours before skewering. I use a spent tall bottle of top shelf vodka with a cork cap. It will hold eight skewers upright after sealing it with the cork cap.

During the marinating and skewer soaking time I slice up the veggies. A bigger piece is better because they stay skewered longer. When using root veggies like carrots or potatoes they should be par-boiled first. To me, the veggies need no marinade, I prefer the fresh taste. They only get soaked in vegetable oil and dusted with pepper and garlic salt.

A very hot fire is best but I leave the edges clear of coals to allow any skewers in the middle a place to rest later without too much charring.


Unskewer and chomp.

Dey wuz good I tell you dat rat now ooowwweee.

6 comments:

Chris from Colorado said...

I'm a little overdue on making Kabobs myself.

The night before setting out on my backpack trips in Utah, the tradition is a feast of Kabobs, usually marinated with Catalina salad dressing, like you showed me way back when.

I'll try your new marinade soon.

Dan from Madison said...

Nice I will try this too.

Sk8 said...

Called a million things but good in every language.

Gerry from Valpo said...

Chris, I stopped using catalina dressing marinade years ago 'cause my kids hated it. It was once my favorite camping meal. Everything tastes better when camping in Utah. We sure miss the rattlesnake hash for breakfast.

Remember Moab and Arches before yuppie extreme sports numbnuts took it over and ruined it?

Can you make it to Gunstock this year? Send an email.

Chris from Colorado said...

God, we (me, you and Mrs GFV) had some great meals in Utah back then (egg foo young was a popular dish), before any stoplights were in Moab, and anywhere south of there.

The yups and idiots sure ruined Moab. But after 30+ years of exploring Utah, I know where to go where there are no other people. I've come within a 1/4 of an inch of stepping on rattlers and seen a cougar and cub from 100 feet in broad daylight in a scenic canyon (they both bolted (must have heard I was a BMF)) and lots more.

Gunstock sounds good, I will let you know.

Jonathan said...

Damn that looks good.