Thursday, May 20, 2010

That's That

Well, I passed my MT test last night and am happy with my performance. I did my best. As usual, it wasn't good enough for me, but oh well. Like the guy selling the P90X system says, "do your best and forget the rest". I really like that quote and use it a lot.

I now own a red sash, putting me about two years away from my test for a black sash, the ultimate goal at my gym. Last night was my sixth test and they are never easy. Two hours of q and a, and displaying our skills that we have learned the last five months. The last 45 minutes are pad drills, sparring and cardio, and that is always killer. Everyone is glad when we are told we can unwrap (our hands).

Our instructor expects the very best of us in these tests and that is great. What is tough for me is that there is never anything to study from when it is time for the test. We have three or four review classes, work on our flow (pad drill) and let 'er rip. For a guy like me this doesn't work very well. I am a book nerd - not having anything to study from is akin to taking a course in school without a book. And I can't exactly take notes with boxing gloves on.

Not having something to study from hurts my performance in tests. With my life as it is with kids, family, business and all the rest, I simply have no room in my brain to remember what all three counter combos we had for the jab in this last block of MT curriculum (that we studied four months ago). I hardly remember what I did yesterday. So I miss questions on the test and get undressed by the instructor (figuratively). I did notice that the younger, single guys with fewer life responsibilities do better on the q and a portions of the test than do the older guys who have careers, families, and more on their plates.

But that is my tough sh1t. As I have mentioned, our gym tests and that is how it will be. I do my best and forget the rest. I did answer some questions correctly, and kicked ass in sparring and the drills that we practiced.

But it is over and I can go back to the gym now and enjoy my art for another five or six months until the next test. And I will be back into training fighters for an upcoming MT tournament in Iowa so that is always very satisfying.

I won't bitch about this again but wanted to get it down here for my future reference.

11 comments:

James R. Rummel said...

I think congratulations are in order any time someone does their best! And congrats on the red sash.

Dan from Madison said...

Thanks James - I know the post is sort of whiny, but we have a lot of cheese up here to go with my wine. And I always do my best.

Mark said...

Doesn't seem whiny to me - I haven't been pushed that hard for over a decade. I have a ton of respect for people who can stick with a program like this.

Dan from Madison said...

Thanks Mark, much appreciated.

Gerry from Valpo said...

Good hard work has it's own reward. Hey, where's the photo of the new silky hot pants?

Dan from Madison said...

I got new pants, but they aren't "hot" - more to come on this.

knirirr said...

Congratulations!
I know what you mean about the notes; I am pleased that I have plenty of books from which to work.

Dan from Madison said...

Thanks Milo!

Carl from Chicago said...

Great hope you didn't get too beat up

Snakeye said...

Congrats boss... I'd let you kick my ass any day!

Jonathan said...

Cool.