Friday, March 26, 2010

Southern Comfort - Part Three

.
Part two is here. And now for something completely different, a few rather naughty bits courtesy of a Bourbon St. storefront.


After wiping leftover Café DuMonde powdered sugar from my beard we strolled northeast to the old French Market. As I remembered it, this historic covered outdoor flea market offered some junk, a lot of grocery items, fresh produce and vendors selling things like gator-on-a-stick and cups of gumbo along with thousands of different bottles of liquid pepper and Cajun seasoned garlic concoctions. Last time we were there I bought locally produced sauces, andouille sausage and tasso ham at the French Market to take home. No longer. It is now mostly Asians serving Chinese knock-off-crap-on-a-table. We bolted and headed into the FQ without snapping one photograph at the market. Sad to see what it has become.

The FQ is the most target-rich environment a shutterbug like me hopes to find. I took five hundred images in the FQ alone. Every corner offered a series of directionally-lit subjects of opportunity providing texture, contrast and rich vibrant colors. There were four great photo ops on every corner.

Bourbon St. is a place like to walk down once at night and once in the early morning hours during a stay, but it’s not a place for me to dwell during the trip. That’s not rain on the street. This is what Bourbon St. looks like at 7 AM after the power washers spray off all the residual vomit and urine from the night before.


On the north end of Bourbon St. you enter the gay area. The gay bar establishments are easily identified by a rainbow flag hanging on the facade. I just looooove what they did with the violet shutters.


Some folks make the FQ their residence.


Dogs live there as well.


I avoided taking photos of the omnipresent Saints SuperBowl congratulatory billboards and “officially licensed” banners but I could not resist the handmade variety.


The aged and weathered look is everywhere. It soon became obvious most buildings were authentic while others were rehabbed by decorators to look old. We saw quite a few “Disneyworld” fake distressed look structures such as this one.


Imagine the expense of snapping over 700 images with the old 35 mm film. The cost of film, processing and prints could have cost hundreds of dollars with many wasted shots in the mix. Even with two big-ass memory cards I took my Apple laptop along to dump images in the hotel room each night.


Digital photography is nothing less than (and I avoid using this term loosely) awesome.

To Be Continued…
.

3 comments:

Dan from Madison said...

I remember seeing people actually living in the FQ when I went there several times and couldn't believe it.

Mark said...

Is that some sort of mobile crowd control tower? Horses (or the balcony next to it) aren't good enough for them? I suppose it was paid for with Federal grants.

Gerry from Valpo said...

You nailed it Mark.