Sunday, February 07, 2010

Tesla Motors


One cool thing about living in the River North area of Chicago is that all of the new, hot cars get valet parked outside the clubs nearby. This lets me walk right up to these great cars and ogle them. The only bad thing is that it usually is at night so it is more difficult for me to do the autos justice by taking a photo with my crummier "blog" camera (my good camera is too big to keep in my pocket so it stays at home unless I am on vacation or know I am out taking pictures).

I did a double take when I spotted an orange Tesla in front of Sushi Samba. I know that Tesla makes electric cars but don't know much about them so I looked at the company web site here. This car is a 2010 Roadster Sport and it looks great. From the web site apparently these cars are very fast and have great performance statistics. Here is a CNET car review with video and the car retails for $129,000 (don't know if it actually costs more or less, some times these sorts of cars are in high demand and go for way more than sticker).

5 comments:

Gerry from Valpo said...

Amazing. Why would anyone spend that kind of cash on an auto painted yellow? Maybe the owner never heard the term "resale red". Maybe the owner could care less.

Carl from Chicago said...

I think that the problem is more in the photographer. The car was Orange but my camera didn't do it justice in the darkness. Too bad you weren't there you'd have gotten a much better shop. Plus my better half was walking ahead she isn't always so excited about me stopping everything to take a bunch of photos at night in the cold.

I went to the Tesla site looking for photos of the orange Roadster Sport but didn't see any. But it definitely was orange.

rex said...

Awesome. And I bet that the owner bought the car at the Tesla retail store in River West, which just opened last month. Cool

Jonathan said...

Does it short out in the rain?

Jonathan said...

Ha ha ha. Actually, you should ask the owner if that's one of them there Fiat X1/9s, don't see them very often anymore. If you do this you will make a friend for sure.