Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Goodyear Blimp

Click any photo for larger.

As I was driving home last night I caught a glimpse of a blimp in the distance. This is the second time I have seen a blimp flying low around Madison in the 15 years I have lived here.
When I got closer it was indeed the Goodyear Blimp.
Judging from the direction it was going it was headed up toward Minneapolis. But I had another theory. I think maybe it was just staying overnight in Madison on its way to the Packer pre season game Saturday night. There isn't a football game in Minneapolis this weekend.

There is a small airport on the edge of town that might have been the tethering spot for the night for the blimp. Just guessing.

The Goodyear Blimp has it's own website, and a blog, which, alas, hasn't been updated since May 7. The website is pretty informational. I love blimps.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've seen a few blimps around Madison over the years and even seen a few land. They usually tether at the far side of Dane County Regional near the small private planes. Worth checking out some night with a drive-by on 51 followed by a stop at the Ale Asylum.

Dan from Madison said...

I saw this blimp on the beltline, around John Nolen heading northwest, not toward DCRA. Then again it might have been circling its way up there.

No argument here on Ale Asylum, awesome beer.

Anonymous said...

IF you really love them, call them "airships" !!!

Barry said...

Your 1st theory was correct, observed the airship over downtown St. Paul Wed. afternoon. There may not be a football game this weekend, but the PGA is in town.

Dan from Madison said...

Hey thanks Barry, the PGA has got to be the reason.