Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Cracker at River North Fest


The River North Association in Chicago sponsored one of those outdoor festivals that are everywhere in Chicago in the summer (the few months when the weather is tolerable). They set up tents and had a band and beer trucks at Erie Park which was constructed along the Chicago River across the water from the giant Chicago Tribune printing plant. Unlike most of the fests, where the food consists of the usual items like corn on the cob and hamburgers, there were a lot of choices from good local restaurants and for alcohol they even had Sangria and what looked like an OK wine selection (for outdoors, y'all).

The band on Sunday night (when I took this photo) was Cracker, that band from the early 90's. As I was listening, the first thing I thought of was "where do you find a band like Cracker for your local fest?" - is it on Craig's list or something? Do you post an ad? But my skepticism was soon won over as I realized that I actually liked and remembered a lot of their songs.

My favorite is "Teen Angst (What the World Needs Now)" for the great lyrics
Cause, what the world needs now
is another folk singer
like I need a hole in my head.

Cause what the world needs now
is a new Frank Sinatra
so I can get you in bed.
Even though this song is getting up in age (17 years old!) that is a solid sentiment... now that I have HD I tape the HD Videos on Palladia and there seem to be a lot of the new generation of sappy folk type singers with an acoustic guitar sitting out on the sand... can't fast forward through them fast enough.

1 comment:

Dan from Madison said...

Nice find! Euro-trash girl isn't just one of my favorite Cracker/Camper van Beethoven songs, it is one of my favorites of all time.

"Yea I searched the world over,
For my angel in black,
Yea I searched the world over,
For a Euro-trash girl."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=38Vun2LYnoY