Thursday, July 30, 2009

Cob Snob

.
I love living in corn country. On the coasts they get excellent seasonal sea food at great prices. But here in the Midwest for about four months we get my favorite fresh vegetable, corn on the cob. I am definitely a fresh corn cob snob and cannot get enough of it while it's in season. It makes winter a bit more tolerable.


Nothing beats fresh corn cooked the same day it’s picked. I’ve been known to drive to the farm stand on summer mornings at sun up when the pickers haul it in then quickly drive home to cook some for breakfast. If you’ve never tired this it’s indescribable.

I’ve boiled it, microwaved it and grilled it. It’s all good as long as it’s swimming in a pound of butter and dusted with a heavy coat of salt.


For years I bought corn from a farm stand about two miles away called Keel's Kountry Korner.

Ever since Pa Keel died two years ago I now have to drive a ways to find premium, same day sweet corn on the cob on a daily basis even out here in corn country. There’s a tent that sets up in a parking lot in town and the corn is good. It’s fresh picked daily but I miss going to the country farm stand, talking to the farmer folks and selecting my own corn from the big bin. Pa Keel had fresh corn each year from the 4th of July all the way to the first frost. First pickings were always the best, sweetest of the year. Pa rotated his plantings so there were different varieties through out the summer months. He even grew some rare Japanese hybrids that I swear were the finest kernels I ever sunk my teeth into.

The tent people in town bag it for you and I can’t blame them. Rude people will tear open the husks looking for the perfect ears tossing back what didn’t look perfect to them.

Who wants corn that has been mauled, abused and assaulted? This has to piss off most farm stand people. But at Keel’s Pa didn’t care. Any corn not sold went to feed the livestock.

Maybe some of it was shipped to the folks who brew Carl's favorite beer. Who knows?
.

1 comment:

Dan from Madison said...

I would imagine that the corn you looked at was of far too high quality to send to the Crappy Beer Breweries.