Monday, May 04, 2009

Over-the-top Advertising



I have lived in Chicago for a long time and many neighborhoods have been significantly improved. The area of Bucktown and Wicker Park, where I used to live, was a rough neighborhood in the 80's, hip in the 90's, and pretty much gentrified today.

Here up above is a condominium that they are building at a pretty crummy location - near the corner of Ashland and Fullerton. This area has a big BP gas station in front and is near the Clyborn intersection on a diagonal which pretty much means that traffic is a train wreck most of the time (although not as bad as the famous Elston / Fullerton / Damen disaster than I posted about here as the worst intersection in Chicago).

There isn't much in the immediate vicinity except for traffic and although I wouldn't consider the area dangerous I wouldn't consider it very desirable, and I certainly wouldn't call it Bucktown (which really lies to the south). Living on Ashland pretty much sucks anywhere, in my opinion, because it is such a busy through street and quite ugly, but that's just my 2 cents.



I looked at the web site for this condo called Eco-logic. Ha ha. They are really trying to push this "green" theme to an extreme, plus the "fun" life of living near Bucktown when you really aren't that near at all (you need to cross a river and a pretty uninviting stretch of industrial buildings - it isn't really walking distance nor territory). I think that the whole 3 way shower really is too much.

I have to hand it to them, though, for their amazing ability to try to hit all the hot buttons in their advertising. The "green" theme although only a tiny fraction of their power is alternative, pushing the area as "Bucktown" when it clearly isn't, and pumping up the possibility of getting lucky when you live in front of a giant gas station on a busy street next to a medical building. They certainly are shameless.

3 comments:

Gerry from Valpo said...

Anybody living in a major urban area that believes he/she (along with the heshe's) are living a "green" lifestyle is either delusional or a pathetic hippie punk or both.

Carl from Chicago said...

Well... I am a bit green in that I live in a small place and walk everywhere. I just try not to tell anyone.

Dan from Madison said...

That three way advertising is eye catching if nothing else. And in the end, that is the point, even though you may be selling a bogus product.