Saturday, April 25, 2009

Old Apartment in Wrigley... memories



When I was out with a friend of mine when we ran into the PBR pub crawl (another post coming soon) I saw this sign and it brought back some hazy memories. The Cubs and the City of Chicago put these signs out in the neighborhood every year with the specific dates of the Cubs night games and restrictions on neighborhood parking (for non-residents). When I lived in Wrigleyville we stole one of these signs and the horse it was attached to and brought it up to our apartment, where it sat for a couple years, and I think there is a photo somewhere of all of us around our prized possession. Suffice it to say that women were not impacting our decorating techniques at the time - our furniture was whatever we garbage picked or scrounged from where-ever. I also remember getting a parking pass from Helen Shiller's alderman office - talking about a lunatic - she literally had a photo of Fidel Castro and Che in there. Among all the renovation in that neighborhood she courted public housing and extreme liberal causes. But that's where I had to go to get a parking pass. Another hazy memory involves Dan getting into a minor fender bender and going to the local police station to talk to them - and the visitor friendly cop just looked at Dan and said "what the f*ck do you want?"

As far as that apartment, what a steal. It had 3 bedrooms (although mine was the size of a closet, but I was never there) and it was $600 / month. The landlady wanted a $300 deposit - we just went to an ATM and gave it to her right there. That place was a dump, big and old, but a great bargain. I am getting old now, that was about 15-20 years ago.

Ah... hazy memories.

5 comments:

Dan from Madison said...

That fender bender wasn't me, you memory is indeed hazy from that time period.

Carl from Chicago said...

Didn't you go to the police station for something?

Dan from Madison said...

Yep, drunken behavior - they took my cash and told me to get the f*ck out of there, a fair trade at the time I must admit...

Carl from Chicago said...

Yes like the time you helped me out in Baltimore when that bouncer grabbed me

Dan from Madison said...

Heh, that was quick thinking on my part, and it cooled everyone off.