Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Chicago Parking Meters - Attack of the Quarters!

With the new Chicago meter sale, the cost to use a meter has gone up dramatically ($3.50 / hr in the Loop, $2 / hr in River North) and the meters I've seen only take quarters. If you do the math, to park for a few hours you could easily use 20-30 quarters.



I visited my local JP Morgan Chase bank branch and bought a couple of rolls of quarters to put in my glove box, because you can't just drive around and raid your loose change anymore or you won't be able to leave your car for long. I asked the teller if it was common for people to request rolls of quarters and she said:

Every other customer seems to be buying rolls of quarters!


So I'm not the only one... maybe we will have a run on quarters in this town!



Given Chicago's high crime rate you might think that our police would be on to more critical tasks but I saw this guy who seemed to be checking meters. Maybe he wasn't, I am not sure, but I have been seeing the usual parking tickets plastered on cars.

2 comments:

Gerry from Valpo said...

Hey Carl, you may want to make friends with John "Quarters" Boyle. He may sell you all the quarters you need. At a price.

http://www.ipsn.org/hired_truck_scandal/quarters_john_kass.htm

The money quote:

"Reporter: Would stealing $4 million from another public agency disqualify somebody from a city job?

"No, I don't think so," Daley said.

Dan from Madison said...

Law enforcement in this sense is the easy part. In other words, murder investigations and actual real crime fighting is dirty and stressful business. The marginal cost of writing a bazillion parking tickets is easy, cheap, revenue rich, and with no real strings.

If you were the cops you would probably do the same thing. Same thing goes for speed traps.

With the new parking rates, that South Lot parking will look like the deal of the century.