Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Rib Tips

Click any photo for larger.

A while ago I mentioned that my next quest on my food journey was rib tips. I always love the cheap, plentiful, great tasting food. I purchased a 10 pound box of tips from Moo and Oink. I had to have it shipped, so the cost was a little higher than it normally would be. If you can get there in person, it is only $10.99 for a 10 pound box. $1.10 per pound. I am certain I can find something equivalent locally. It's the economy, stupid!

I decided to do them the basic same way that I prepare my world famous Game Day Ribs. Here we have two separate piles of tips, on the left you see them prepared like Game Day Ribs. On the right we have simple salt and pepper. I have to cook for kids and I thought that the Game Day Rub might be a bit much for the little ones. These photos are after the tips sat in the fridge overnight in their respective rubs.
I did what the Moo and Oink site said and cooked them at 300 in my oven. I went for 2.5 hours, in a covered container. These would be better grilled, or at least finished on the grill, but I didn't want to deal with the nasty cold weather. Below are the plain salt and peppered tips ready for serving.
Here is the end of one of the tips that had the Game Day Rub on them.
Here is some of the carnage - look at all of that juice.
And here is a closeup of one of the tip sections with the Game Day Rub.
As you may imagine, these things turned out FANTASTIC. There is a bit of a catch though. Tips are a bit more of a challenge to eat than the standard rib. There is a lot of cartilage and other stuff in there that you have to work your way around. Also, the fat content in these things is AMAZING - you can overdose on it if you are a fat eater like me. The meat has an almost smoky flavor to it. Just wonderful.
What a success. I will be making tips again this summer when things warm up so I can finish these on the grill. I think a little smoke on them would be all that I could add to make them better.

10 comments:

Gerry from Valpo said...

Tips are so overlooked outside the hood. Yummy stuff too. Good call. You absolutely MUST visit Moo & Oink in person next time you are in Chicago. The Stony Island location is the best! You will be the only white guy in the store, guaranteed. Pick up a 10 lb. pail of Aunt Bessie's hand-cleaned chitlin's while you're in there.

When I buy spare ribs locally the trimmed-off tips are usually included in the package and I make them along with the ribs. 99¢ a pound is not unusual for spare's and tips in Valpo.

Dan from Madison said...

I think you are right, I need to visit the Moo and Oink next time down. Gotta get that pail of Chitlins and stock up on tips - no idea how to cook them but I would figure it out.

I am so so happy with the way these tips turned out, need to make them more.

How the hell are you getting spare racks for .99 per pound? The only way I can find them is in the cryopack up here for quite a bit more than that. I need to look around apparently.

Dan from Madison said...

Whoops, I meant no idea how to cook the Chitlins, got the tips down now.

Gerry from Valpo said...

I stay away from cryopack meat. If you read the label the product is often packed in a solution meant to flavor and/or tenderize. I get my ribs from the local grocery packed in their own meat department. 99¢ happens every month or so on special and that's for spare ribs. Seems most grillers prefer baby back ribs because of publicity from places like Chili's. It's easy to dry out back ribs.

Dan from Madison said...

Interesting on the cryopack, I will check into getting fresh next time.

Agreed wrt baby backs. To me, baby backs aren't ribs, they are "baby backs".

Anonymous said...

Hey Dan -- Can these be made in a slow cooker,as well? Might be an awesome crock pot meal...

Ed in Superior

Dan from Madison said...

Captain Ed! Welcome back. I suppose you could make them in a slow cooker but I wouldn't recommend it, but what a mess. Too greasy. I can't overstate how much fat are in these things. Wonderful, tasty, luscious pork fat. As Emeril (or someone) said, pork fat rules.

Anonymous said...

Just bought tips aunt bessies for 0.89 a lb in merrillville indiana...ultra foods got some of the best rib selections

Anonymous said...

I find the "ends" of the tips tough and chewy, I swear the meat swells in your mouth -- how do you tenderize the ends of the tips?

Dan from Madison said...

Anon - pretty tough to diagnose without knowing how you cooked them, how you marinated them, etc. The above worked for me, but you will note that baking in the oven is not a traditional style of cooking ribs. Purists will scoff at this, but it works for me.