Sunday, September 14, 2008

The Magicians


Just returned from a decent fishing trip. The trip was cut short by this pesky rain, which would not stop. I hate fishing in the rain.

We left for home Saturday about noon, two days short of the plan. My backyard digital rain gauge registered 6.8” in 24 hours when I arrived Saturday afternoon and it is predicted there could be 4-6” more Sunday. This is an incredible amount of rain, like nothing I have ever seen. Even if my fourteen year-old sump pump makes it, tomorrow it gets replaced for peace of mind. We built the country bunker on high ground so it is not too troubling.

A relative has this cabin on Magician Lake in southwest lower Michigan, a little more than an hour from here. We generally make 4-5 bass fishing trips a year but this season has been so busy for me this was my first to Michigan. Since my work has slowed it is time for me to play. That’s my plan for semi-retirement. It’s working. So far.

The usual suspects were there. My dad, the bro, our host (also named Gerry who is a cousin-in-law) and his buddy Danny all showed up. We drank, ate great food and had a lot of laughs. We did some fishing too. The weather up until Friday was just great. We enjoyed blue skies, dry, pleasant and mild weather in the low seventies.

We used our tried and proven fishing methods in places that were successful in the past. The target was bass and pike. The bite for big fish was slow. We caught a lot of undersize fish but it was still fun.



This summer Danny and Gerry took their boat to nearby Paw Paw lake near Watervliet, MI for the first time. These guys fish a lot of lakes in SWLM. They found Paw Paw to give up more and larger bass and pike than Magician and other local lakes in recent years. Since both are fully retired these guys spend a lot of time on the water. Paw Paw is 800+ acres and has outstanding structure with deep holes. Dense weed beds are everywhere but not one inch of shoreline is vacant. There are way too many many cottages and condo developments, but on weekdays after Labor Day the traffic is light. This is one very fertile lake.

On Friday my bro went with Danny and his boat to Paw Paw Lake. Danny is one of the best bass fishermen I know. His method? Get out on the water early, cast your wrists off and work the heck out of every weed bed. Not for me. That’s too much like work and my trips are as much for relaxation as they are for hauling in fish. I rarely go out on the water for more than four hours.


They left at 5am Friday and came back at 1pm fishing through a light rain. Their results were good. One 30” pike and a bass that went about 18”. Not bad. But eight hours on the water? No thanks. Me, Gerry and dad stayed and fished for about four hours on Magician Lake. Then the canarbles and polish sausage started biting quite well in the cabin about 11am. We caught a few pike and bass too, here are the combined results.


This is Danny.


I blurred his face because I did not get his permission to post his image on the internets. He is about 5’3” and is a childhood friend of our host. He’s one tough customer. His fingers are gnarled from arthritis and it’s hard to walk with knees like his. It amazes us how Danny can cast for bass almost each day during the season for hours on end. We all have a ton of respect for his determination to catch bass, even if he may be a bit crazy. It’s more than a passion with him. It’s an obsession. Danny is fully retired. I love this guy.

Since work has slowed down for me we’ll be back to Magician and Paw Paw lakes a few more times this fall.

5 comments:

Carl from Chicago said...

Great photos once again and glad you got home before the remnants of Ike hit

Snakeye said...

Damn... that's some good fishing.

Dan from Madison said...

Nice stuff.

johnnyj said...

Sweet, that's a good day!

johnnyj said...

I wish we had pike around here...

We do have the 'Hybrid' Tiger Muskie though...They are elusive sons-of-bitches...The WDFW plants them to 'thin-out' various populations...Makes sense...

I'm gonna guess that BASS at 4 lbs...