Thursday, August 14, 2008

Waterspout

I saw something on vacation this year that was simply awesome. A real, live tornado. Well not exactly a tornado as most know it. I saw a tornado on water, which is called a waterspout. Actually we saw many, but this was the best photo I could manage of one. There was a strange front moving through Saugatuck, Michigan this day. We were on the top of one of the largest dunes in the area, and were stuck - the dune ride vehicle had a flat tire. So we watched the storms that were passing to the west and south of our location. You can see Lake Michigan down below. Enarge this photo by clicking on it.
Almost dead center emerging from the bottom of the cloud is the top of the waterspout - it looks like a tiny tornado. If you look at the lake directly beneath it you can see the water moving upward from Lake Michigan to the cloud. There was a circular pattern of air between the two. All tornados would look like this if they weren't on land collecting dirt and debris to color them. This is probably one of the coolest things I have ever seen - the natives simply shrugged their shoulders and said that they see them all the time. I doubt I would ever get tired of seeing these.

2 comments:

jonathan said...

Very cool.

Snakeye said...

That's pretty money. I've always wanted to see a tornado in-person. Is that messed up or what? For some reason, I always have dreams about tornadoes too...