Thursday, July 03, 2008

Second Annual Tour de Wisconsin Agriculture, Part Four

Click any photo for larger. Here are parts one, two and three.

We left off with a taste of the Wisconsin farm bizarro world. Here is the main entrance to the property. Looks like that car in the foreground may be functional. I noticed at least one other car that was driven into the woods to die - who knows how many more vehicles are strewn around the property.
Here is one of the fields attached to the property. What the hell? It is like used, broken farm equipment hell. Or purgatory, as the case may be.
And another field. It is like it goes on forever. I just kept saying to myself over and over what the f*ck? This photo is crazy. If you enlarge it, you can see several bale lifters in the foreground. I am counting at least seven. I also see a few tractors back there in the background. What a nightmare.
I have no idea what is going on here, but what a waste of beautiful land. This guy could be a junk operator, and if he has a permit to do this, more power to him. But the vastness of this collection of scrap metal, dead cars, broken carts, and rusted out garbage is breathtaking. My photos don't really do it justice.

My wife had an interesting theory - she proposed that local farmers may give this guy money to drive their old crap to his land and leave it there forever. Could be. All I know is that the land will virtually non-sellable if the DNR ever gets wind of this. It would take at least a year to clean it all up, and with the sinking cars and junked tractors all around, the wells may be poisoned. Who knows.

If nothing else the guy could start sawing all of this stuff up and sell the scrap metal, which has skyrocketed in the last few years.

One more short part still to come.

1 comment:

jonathan said...

Wild. Looks like either a hippie bartering/recycling project or mental illness or both. Or maybe it's an art project.

I like the last photo best.