Tuesday, June 17, 2008

An Open Letter to the Libertarian Party

To whom it may concern,

As I have aged I have paid more attention to what is going on in the world around me. I treasure the Constitution and the rights it gives us. Like many, I am disgusted with how my money is wasted on the federal, state and local level. Swine at the trough.

In my interest to take it back, I have shunned many Republican candidates in favor of Libertarians. I don't necessarily agree with everything on the Libertarian party platform, but had no problem throwing a disgust vote to the Libertarians if the candidate was decent. I even gave Ed Thompson some of my hard earned money since I believed in him. I was quite pleased that he got 11% of the vote in his run for the governorship of Wisconsin in 2002.

I have noticed in many races that Libertarian candidates have been, well, lame. Some have had zero qualifications, or advocate for some insane type of head in the sand foreign policy. At times I have had to go back to voting Republican simply because...I had to. And lets face it, the Dems need to lose at all costs. This fall, when the Dems sweep the House, Senate and Presidency we are all in for tough times. I am fully prepared for an assault on my pocketbook and my personal liberties. Good luck grabbing my guns to the Dems, that's all I am going to say about that.

A few days ago I took a look at our local candidates for Congress and who is on the Libertarian ticket? Probably one of the men I hate the most on the entire planet, Kevin Barrett. He preached his message of hate at the UW and spouts his bullsh1t 911 conspiracy theories all over the place. This man is vile and disgusting, and he is your candidate for my district for Congress. OBVIOUSLY I will be voting Republican this time around. Not only that, I will never give the Libertarian party one cent of my hard earned money ever again, nor will I ever vote for a Libertarian candidate ever again. Good luck with your usual 1% of votes. When you allow crackpots like Barrett in your party you are going to get all that you deserve. And you don't deserve me.

Cross posted at ChicagoBoyz.

4 comments:

Carl from Chicago said...

I know we don't usually swear on this blog but that guy is a F*CKST1CK!

Dan from Madison said...

100% f*ckstick.

James R. Rummel said...

I was a 9 year old kid in 1973, and one of my teachers had the Libertarian candidate for Ohio governor show up to talk to the class.

Crazy, right? But it wasn't as crazy as when the Q&A came around.

This guy, whatever-his-name-was, said that the Libertarian Party wanted to abolish the Executive and Legislative Branches, and seriously shrink the Judicial until we only had what was essentially small claims courts. The military, though, would stay intact.

I was only 9, but there was a fair trade in junta governments around the world back then in Africa and South America. I asked what would keep the soldiers from just taking over if the rest of the government was done away with.

This guy said "I know what you are asking, but I don't think it would happen. NEXT QUESTION!"

And then he refused to call on me for the rest of the class, or even make eye contact. He wouldn't even look at me when I approached him after the bell rang to get a better answer, and slipped away without saying another word to me.

Think about that for a moment. The big Libertarian plans for restructuring our society called into serious question by a 9 year old.

The Libertarian position has become a sight more sophisticated since then, so sophisticated that I think it would take a Freshman in high school to skewer their platform with a single question.

There are also people who look at my self reliance, disgust with big government, admiration of the individual and liberty, and my support of armed self defense, and they insist that *I* am Libertarian!

They seem puzzled when I react with horror and anger. After all, those guys are nuts! The last thing I want is someone to think of me when they consider Libertarians.

James

Dan from Madison said...

Good comment James, thanks for leaving it.