Thursday, May 22, 2008

Wheels on Willy

Last Sunday I attended my first bike race, Wheels on Willy. The Cronometro boys blocked off Williamson Street and a few others, creating a square approximately a mile or two long. The crowd was relatively sparse, and a lot of people were coming and going. I stayed for about an hour. I was interested in how these races were run, and what types of equipment the riders were using. These races were forty minute sprints around the track. There were riders from several states and teams represented. I have to admit it was sort of boring. They had a car that would lead the pack of riders, then the riders would blaze by, and then nothing for a few minutes until they appeared again. I guess I don't know what I was expecting. So here it is, from the first corner - just after the lead car went by.

video

And repeat. That is about it. I don't think I will go to a race again unless I am in it.

3 comments:

jonathan said...

This would be a good occasion to put a video cam on your bike or helmet. I still have this on my own project list.

Dan from Madison said...

I agree...

Dan from Madison said...

In this particular case it would give a great view of all of the better bikers pulling away from me at a rapid rate.