Wednesday, March 12, 2008

WEC

Most here know that I watch a lot of fights. I would watch more Muay Thai fights if I could, but the sport just isn't that popular here in the US. But MMA (Mixed Martial Arts) is. As a matter of fact, I would wager that it is the fastest growing sport in the USA.

These athletes are amazing. They have to be trained in jiu-jitsu, striking, standup (usually Muay Thai) and be in top notch condition. That conditioning consists of extreme amounts of cardio along with weights, resistance training and all the rest.

So I have been watching (and attending) a LOT of MMA fights as that is what is available to me. It tempts me to take jiu-jitsu classes to become a more complete fighter. Nope, I am too old. Muay Thai is all I have time for - at least that is what I keep telling myself.

The WEC product appears to me to be a higher quality product than the UFC. The fighters in the WEC seem to have better technique. The WEC features lighter fighters, usually under the middleweight class. I enjoy the lighter fighters more as they are faster and rely more on speed and technique than sheer power.

I have seen a lot of Pride refugees on WEC as of late. Pride is a MMA league based in Japan that was purchased by the UFC and basically shutdown. These Pride fighters are of the highest quality.

I recently found out that the UFC owns the WEC. Strangely, there seems to be a quality difference, favoring the WEC. Some may or may not know that I blog at ChicagoBoyz. Last week I got slagged pretty good here and here for my practice of watching UFC pay per view events for free, illegally. I have since discontinued that practice. I am very happy that these WEC fights are shown on Versus for free. Well, not free, I still have to pay my cable bill.

I can't wait until the next time I go to Vegas - I will be attending some fights for sure, hopefully some WEC at the Hard Rock.

No comments: