Saturday, January 19, 2008

A January Fireside Report



The reason I have not blogged for a while is because my independent small business has been “Much More Better Than Good™”.

IF you listen to the whistle-ass mainstream media blowhards and expert financial media consultants you would think the economy is totally in the dumpster. Not from my perspective. The past three Januarys were dead for me work-wise. But the following months were good enough to reach my yearly goals.

Election cycles can be concocted media harbingers of doom if you give time and attention to that crap. Self fulfilling prophesies so to speak. Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.

My blogging has been light because I have worked non-stop weekdays and weekends for the past three weeks. Between an on-site daily contract job in Chicago and other client commitments I have been working nights and weekends at home and lucky to get four hours of sleep nightly.

Cha-Ching! Been making hay while the sun shines or not.

I have been busier than a one-legged cat trying to bury a turd on a frozen pond.

Speaking of which, sub zero temperatures are expected here in rural northern Indiana this weekend. Maybe the local small lakes will freeze thick enough and allow me to drill an icy hole or two and do some serious ice fishing for those tasty cold water bass, bluegill and crappie.

With Goerbal Warming being what it is in the past few years our local lakes have become hesitant to freeze thick enough to support my ample weight. In addition I have not seen one Polar Bear for years. Sad, really.

So goodbye Gorebal warming! See ‘ya. Don’t let that door hit your fat fargin’ ass on the way out, Algore!

Until this deep freeze subsides I plan on spending this Reverend Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. three-day holiday weekend sitting by my fire, watching the NFL Conference Championship games with a tasty cocktail or ten, cooking some genuine midwestern comfort food and reading books about black history in my spare hour or two.

In addition to all that joy I have at least 30 hours of billable work from home booked for this weekend too.

The best news is I have been billing at least 12 hours a day, every day since January 2nd. Sure hope work dies down in time for the 2008 walleye opener.

WOW, the NFL Playoff games last weekend were some of the best ever! NFL Playoffs sure beat The NBA Finals, The NCAA Final Four and The World Series combined. Except the 2005 World Series when The Chicago White Sox just kicked ass! BTW it has been 100 years since The Chicago Cubbies won a World Series. Heh.

Tomorrow a cousin is hosting a true wild game dinner at his place. I will gladly make time for an event like that! Chomp!

Photos and commentary of the event will follow.

BTW, that ten point trophy buck over my fireplace was shot by my grand dad in northwestern Ontario, Canada during the early 50's. One day I will get my own. The photo on the right of the mantle is of my father-in-law's B-17 crew. They killed more Nazi's than they could count and lived to tell about it. True American heroes they were. One day in the future I will scan and post that photo as a tribute.

Stay warm!

2 comments:

Dan from Madison said...

Was wondering if you were on vacation or something. Good on 'ya on the business.

Carl from Chicago said...

great news on your business. As an independent you are damn smart to make hay while the sun shines