Wednesday, January 09, 2008

Phalanx Gun

Usually this is the time for Carl and Gerry to blog, but I can't sleep. I worry about my kids in the hospital recovering from tonsil surgery. They are fine, but I still can't sleep. Today was a long day.

Most of you have seen or read that some Iranian boats buzzed a few of our ships that were steaming in international waters near the Straits of Hormuz. The US ships were a cruiser (USS Port Royal, CG 73), a destroyer (USS Hopper, DDG 70) and a frigate (USS Ingraham, FFG 61).

Here is some raw video of the incident:




Maybe it is because I am not as charitable as most, but I would have 100% for sure put those tiny craft on the bottom, right into Davy Jone's locker. The video shows those boats, of which I have seen faster on Miami Vice, approx 500m from our warships. Screw that.

Lets take a look - yep, all three of our ships have the Phalanx CIWS (Close In Weapons System). That would have sunk those pieces of crap quick and easy. I love that damned gun. 3,000 rounds of 20mm per minute with automatic fire control from the computer controlled radar. You want demo's? We got 'em here at LITGM.

Here is test firing of the Phalanx:



Here is the Phalanx showing what it can do on a floating target in the distance. Imagine this is one of those cigarette boats:



Hard to say why the commanders of our ships were being so charitable. All I know is that if it were me, I would blow those jerks out of the water.

Cross posted at ChicagoBoyz.

8 comments:

Carl from Chicago said...

I don't know if blow them out of the water is correct... more like obliterate. VERY cool video

Dan from Madison said...

Can you imagine what a ship could have done with one of these things in WW2?

Sk8 said...

Don't know if you can use it against a boat or not. I don't see why not, just never seen it done before. The system is being used as an anti-mortar system. Really cool:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DsnhyTiTqk4

sk8 said...

Meant to say that your second video from youtube was a test against mortars (new use for the weapon system). It is proposed to be used as a land based system for large bases. Still pretty cool.

Dan from Madison said...

Yea sk8 the phalanx was developed as a last line of defense for incoming missiles of any sort, but no reason we couldn't use it against a relatively slow moving tiny craft as you mentioned.

Annie said...

People seem to make sport of Bush comments, but I tell you this;
the quote from him was pretty darn good: "it was a dangerous gesture on their part. ... And they know our position, and that is: There will be serious consequences if they attack our ships, pure and simple. And my advice to them is, don't do it."

Gerry from Valpo said...

Reminds me of this one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tyF0G7g4KfY

SK8 said...

Ok, I found some footage of testing of the CIWS and Navy 5 inch guns against small boats. It seems the CIWS can be used for this purpose effectively (just like you thought).

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=c76_1200107941