Friday, January 04, 2008

Hello Everyone, I Am Dead

Well, not dead yet, at least for several decades, I hope. But Andy Olmstead was recently killed in Iraq, and he blogged his own death. Well, not the actual death, but he left one last post for his blogmate to put up in case something went down while he was serving. Click the link if you are interested in a very sobering read. Thank you Andy for your service, and godspeed sir.

I have written before about what happens to your blog if you die - if it is a blogger type blog and you don't have any partners, it just sits there ad infinitum, frozen in time, a tiny part of you in cyberspace that simply exists until we discover the next step in communications and information sharing after the internet. I discussed this very thing with Ann Althouse a few weeks ago. I can't remember exactly what she said, but I think she may have deicded to leave the passwords with her son.

Many times I have thought about leaving a "last letter" for my wife to read upon the unfortunate circumstance of my death. We take chances every time we get in a car, bus, or even walking to work. You just never know. What if you never got to say goodbye, or thank you? Perhaps I will put up a "last post" in draft...just in case. I will be interested in what I might say to everyone if I wasn't here anymore.

7 comments:

Carl from Chicago said...

wow that is a heck of a post he left behind.

even if I don't understand all of the star trek references it was very erudite.

the comments were also quite moving.

glad they have someone like Dan on "comment duty" blasting out the trolls. In this instance I hope the trolls actually go directly to Hades

Snakeye said...

How'd you find that one?

Dan from Madison said...

Althouse posted on it earlier today.

Jonathan said...

I don't know what to make of it.

BTW, I am becoming a bit worried about you and your wild snowboarding.

Dan from Madison said...

Agreed Johnthan, it is pretty weird. As for the snowboarding, I stopped the drops off of the helicopter if that is any consolation, so that particular activity is much safer for me now.

I wasn't sure if you have seen my latest clip of myself I just put up on youtube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZ1NiWnA8hA

Jonathan said...

You have definitely toned it down.

jti said...

Wow - what an amazing post. Perhaps the most moving post I have read by anyone, and he's no longer here...