Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Downtown Chicago views


There has been a great full moon lately. I actually dusted out the tripod for this shot of the moon over River North.
This shot was taken on one of the very cold nights recently looking at the Sears Tower and the newly christened Chase building (formerly Bank One).
Here is a view looking down on Navy Pier, lit up for the winter.

This is a photo of the Spire under construction (the new 150 story high rise being built in Chicago). You can see part of the site where the cranes are on the lower left corner of the photo. The Spire's lot is unbelievably small; when we are driving down Illinois avenue towards Lake Shore Drive during the trip to the Bears game I point out the tiny site and people can't believe that a 150 story building is going there. Check out the site for the Spire and then click on "panorama" to see the view from 140 stories... it is amazingly high up there. You need to see it to really "get" how tall the building is.

6 comments:

Jonathan said...

I really like these, especially the first two.

Carl from Chicago said...

2/4 is a pretty good batting average in my photo league :)

Dan from Madison said...

Photo one is your best ever, and I like two as well. The others...can't you read the damned manual to focus better?

Dan from Madison said...

I checked out that Spire website - the views are going to be breathtaking! And the insides of those places are awesome, nice clean lines. Any idea on the price? I am guessing $1m for the upper levels.

Gerry from Valpo said...

No way in hell would I want to live in that drill bit skyscraper which will eventually be referred to as the Black & Decker Building or something. Just as Cloudgate will always be known as "The Bean".

Jonathan said...

I am guessing $1m is on the low side. I think it would be a cool place to live. But I would also be a bit concerned about terrorism, so I probably wouldn't live there. But I will definitely visit you, Carl!