Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Oklahoma, Part Two

Part one is here, click any photo for larger.

I arrived in Norman after about a 30 minute cab ride from the Oklahoma City airport. I stayed at the Sooner Legends Inn and Suites. I was dreading the worst as it was $69 per night, but was very pleasantly surprised at the quality of the accomodations. I guess your buck goes further in OK than it does here. I heard that the hotel used to be a Holiday Inn and that it got renevated a few years ago. I believe the owners have connections at the University of Oklahoma, as they employed football players at the facility. It really is amazing how big football players are up close.

The hotel was Sooner stuff from top to bottom, inside and out. It was done very well. All through the hallways there were photos of Sooners from days gone by. Carl will like this photo in particular - "Adrian (Petersen) is better than Cedric (Benson). Always was, still is.
I had a half day to myself and decided to take a walk to the campus. I pointed myself in what I thought was the right direction and started to hoof it. On the way I spotted this business. I love companies whose names describe exactly what they do for a living.
From this photo below you can see that Norman could be pretty much anyplace, USA. If you didn't know where I was when I took this shot it would be pretty tough to guess where the photo was taken.
Of course, there was the ever present Sooner merchandise stores. I like this dilapidated Sooner Schooner.
This store was a few blocks down from the Sooner Schooner. I still don't understand the pig on top with the OU symbol painted on it.

No comments: