Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Shame in St. Joseph

Last week I enjoyed a vacation in St. Joseph, Michigan. It is a little tourist town about 1.5 hours drive time from Chicago. Here is a map, with St. Joseph appearing as a large red dot if you are interested.
As you can see, this is right in the middle of some interesting college football territory. The location of St. Joseph isn’t far from the campuses of Northwestern, Michigan, Michigan State (all in the Big Ten) and Notre Dame. I saw plenty of hats, t-shirts and the like representing all of these universities as we tromped around the area. Here is a funny photo from the St. Joseph water reclamation district. Check out how they painted the manhole covers. On the left bottom there is the Northwestern logo, with the Michigan State logo above it. On the right top you have the Michigan logo and on the bottom right you have the Notre Dame logo (hard to see that one).
Before we went to the beach for the first day I was faced with a terrible dilemma. I shave my head and it is mandatory for me to wear a hat if I am going to be outside. I forgot my Bears hat at home, so I needed to buy a new one in St. Joseph. And my choices in ALL of the stores were…you guessed it…Northwestern, Michigan State, Michigan and ND. Clearly ND and Michigan are hated too much to be seen on my head, and Northwestern is one of Illinois’ most hated rivals. Which left me wearing this for the remainder of my beach time. It hurt, but not as bad as a sunburn would have.
One more thing - the goatee was experimental last week and has since been shaven.

Cross posted at Saturday Football Update.

10 comments:

Annie said...

Let this be a lesson to you.
When in doubt (or up against a bad hat choice), always pick the Panama Jack cowboy hat from WalMart and spend the day working on your southern twang (nobody knows you anyway).
Fun for you, and chicks dig it. :D
HAHAHA!!

Dan from Madison said...

I wanted a cowboy hat, but we were a looong way from a Wal Mart. Good advice though Annie. Y'alls perty damned brite.

Jonathan said...

You could have put duct tape on your head. I've done that lots of times. Or cut a watermelon in half, hollow it out and use it as a hat. Your family gets to eat the other half so it's win/win.

Dan from Madison said...

Duct tape? Dang I spent 9.99 on the hat when I could have spent 2.00 on a roll of that stuff. Live and learn.

Annie said...

Duct tape on your head?
Hmmm...sorry. It's been done to death.
http://www.wsaz.com/news/headlines/9129056.html
FYI,
the unedited azzhat interview FTW!!

Dan from Madison said...

All I can say about that dude is whoa...

t'su said...

St. Joe's sort of a strange place. The best of West Michigan is further north. I highly recommend the area b/w Ludington & Manistee for some pristine, non-touristic Michigan beauty. The people are friendly, the area isn't overrun with vacationers, the bars are plentiful, and the lakeshore is blissfully undeveloped and public.

Dan from Madison said...

t'su - we have been to the places you mentioned before and like them a lot. But we have two kids and most of the fun stuff for them is from Saugatuck south unfortunately for us. When they are bigger my wife and I plan on taking a small vacation ourselves to the Manistee area.

The beaches along the whole shoreline are beautiful though.

Dan from Madison said...

Oh yeah t'su - I should let you know that it looks like I test for my thai shorts in just a month or two. I am pretty excited. I know I will pass, I have been working my butt off. Next step, yellow sash.

Virginia said...

Well written article.