Tuesday, July 17, 2007

The Proper State of Mind

As many of you know, last fall I had a lot of fun participating in Astro's football pool. This year I am trying to help in the big project of redesigning part of 'stro's blog to house our insane love for the game of college football. Looks like my idea of a scoreboard widget is working so far, but there is a lot of work to do.

I was tinkering around there and decided to follow the links that Snakeye put up top, where you see the helmets. Upon entering the Illini website I stumbled upon a speech by Ray Eliot, known as "Mr. Illini". He led us to Big Ten Championships in '46, '51 and '52 and three Rose Bowl victories. All I can say upon listening to that speech is WOW - that is back when men were men. If you have an extra few minutes, you can listen to it here.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

wow if I heard that guy giving me a locker room talk I would go out and rip the other team apart too...no wonder he was successful...intensity.

Gerry from Valpo said...

What a shame that the U of I buckled to the unnecessary P.C. NCAA pressure. Will there be unofficial Chiefs dancing for the tailgaters? Long live the Chief!!!

Dan from Madison said...

It truly was a shame. Too bad we couldn't have the guts or the alumni power that Florida State had - they basically told the NCAA to stick it. But I have beaten that dead horse enough. I still wonder what they are going to do at halftime this year.