Thursday, July 05, 2007

Long Madison Bike Ride, Part 3

Part one is here, part two is here. Click any photo for larger.

As I mentioned in the last part, I rode through the UW Arboretum. This is a place, several hundred acres worth, on the southwest part of town. There are a lot of hiking trails, both in woods and open prairies. There is a lot to learn here if you decide to take a hike. There is limited auto traffic, and the runners and bikers flock here daily in the summer. The woods are so thick it gets fairly dark there when all the leaves are out. Riding a bike under a canopy of nature is one of my favorite things to do.

After emerging from the Arboretum, I went up Monroe St. a bit. Some forward thinker in this neighborhood a long time ago thought it would be a good idea to set up this system you see below. When crossing, you grab one of those orange flags you see in the buckets. You wave it over your head while crossing to grab the attention of the cars so you don't get run over. I wish I were kidding, but this is Madison after all.
I rode past Edgewood High School (Catholic) and down their little known "sooper sekrit" as Mr. Du Toit says, back road right along Lake Wingra. Back there is the Mazzuchelli Center, which is actually part of Edgewood College. This is a building that houses some labs and things like that - and what a view from there. Here is a short biography on the patron of Edgewood, Samuel Mazzuchelli. Pretty interesting stuff.
After riding past the zoo, I needed to get across the always busy Park St. to get over to Monona Bay and continue my ride. Unfortunately, most of the streets there weren't just under construction, they were GONE. I just pointed my nose in the right direction and kept trying different routes until I found one. It was a bit scary as I was in the wrong place if you are a bike rider, a very busy intersection by Park St. and West Washington Avenue. I dismounted and hiked across the street. After finally crossing Park St., I cruised by Brittingham Park. There are always bums here sleeping. Today was no exception. We are lucky in that we typically have harsh winters causing the bums to migrate south when the weather gets cold, but in summer we have our share.
This is the west shores of Lake Monona, and this part of the Lake is called Monona Bay. The algae bloom is really bad this year. They have tried lots of things over the years to try to quell it, but nothing seems to work. It really stinks. Ah, that lake living - it isn't all its cracked up to be sometimes.

2 comments:

Dan from Madison said...

I just noticed that in that photo of the Mazzuchelli Center you can see me in the reflection. Didn't plan that.

Carl from Chicago said...

That happens to me, too, sometimes. I need to try to shoot from an angle.