Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Hardened

It has taken me a while to warm myself up to watching a little news once again. I am a very busy person, immersed in my hobbies in what little free time I have. Work this time of year for me is always at a fever pitch and staffing issues have made it even more difficult.

The only time I have to actually digest news is on the way to work and the way home, with the occasional day that I can read the paper, perhaps twice or three times a week.

On those pages and in the airwaves are only printed and orated the most astounding and sensational stories of the day. It has always been this way, I suppose.

It is funny how the news organizations stack it up. To garner space on Fox News, which I listen to at times in my vehicle, you have to really commit a major league heinous crime. We just had a missing person from around here come up dead - this was all the rage in the local media, but barely registered a blip on the national media. There were a few mentions on the websites, but nothing on the actual newscasts that I heard.

This major/minor league setup has done nothing but harden Americans, including myself.

I think this desensitization is bad, but has an unintended side effect. When - and I do mean when - we are attacked again by our enemies, it will have to be an incredible attack or it won't even register on the media sorrow scale.

It is difficult to predict what our enemies will do next - hit our weak and getting weaker power generation and distribution systems, oil pipelines and refineries, or go for civilian targets. Some targets that may cause mayhem are places like shopping malls, sports stadiums, and the like. If they want to hit us in the wallet, it will be the infrastructure. If it is press and gore they are after, they will simply drive a truck bomb into a football stadium. I can't really see what we can do to protect ourselves from these types of attacks. I also think it is a matter of when, not if.

I am a bit saddened that it takes the most incredible crimes to make the front page of our national media, but maybe there is a silver lining. If a person takes a life, it has to be done in a spectacular fashion or nobody will care. Is that really a silver lining?

2 comments:

Annie said...

Sort of like so?
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/19586738/

Dan from Madison said...

All I can say to that is whoa!