Tuesday, February 27, 2007

I Really Should Be Tired


It is coming up on 10 pm here in Madison and I am wide awake.


Many of you, if you are reading this Wednesday morning, were probably awake at the same time. The problem with me is that I get up at four AM every day. Some days I sleep in to 4.30.


I don't feel particularly drowsy or fatigued at work the next day. I am just trying to put all of this stuff together.


Here are a few facts that may be relevant to this.


I drink very little, except during football season. Maybe a glass of wine or two with dinner.

I work out religiously, every other day for 45 minutes to an hour. All cardio. I usually will run five or six miles on the treadmill or bike twelve on the trainer. My kids sleep like shit. They dream, cry, moan and get up to take a wiz almost every night. It isn't their fault, just the way it is. So that interrupts my sleep (what little I get) even more. I am very healthy.


So why can't I just lay down and freaking go to sleep? I loathe the idea of taking drugs to knock me out. I am not sure if lack of sleep will have long term effects or if it is just the way I am built. Of course, me thinking about this is keeping me awake. Sigh.


Well, one benefit is that I get to blog a lot.

5 comments:

sk8 said...

God knows you need your beauty sleep...

I'm with you though, the one time I took Ambien, it made me lose binocular vision?!? It must mess with my part of the brain that puts the two images together. It only lasted for about 30 minutes and then I was out. Combined with a beer, it was as close as I will ever get to a 'Jim Morrison' phase in life.

Now goto sleep DFM, millions on welfare are depending on your hard work.

Annie said...

Ever try home remedies? Like valerian tea or a hot bath right before bed? Something that smells faintly of lavender near/on your pillow? I've heard these work, but have never needed to try them for myself. I sleep like a rock.

Dan from Madison said...

A bath? I don't think so. I just think I am hard wired incorrectly.

Anonymous said...

Give self-hypnosis a shot. I did it for years without even realizing what I was doing. When I am trying to fall asleep I say one word in my mind over and over and over. I generally use the word 'sleep' or I just pick a number. Don't let your mind wander from the word you picked.

jti said...

I've had the same problem for years, Dan - I just can't seem to "shut my brain off". I would get drowsy, right on the brink of sleep, and my head would jerk my body awake - actually kinda scary. It was like my head was telling my body "keep up, lightweight"...