Sunday, January 28, 2007

Botching the Banner

I saw this horror show on Althouse's blog Sunday:



Of course I hate Hillary and most of the crowd that hangs out here does too, but now I can hate her for this horrific rendition of the Star Spangled Banner. It's like she is almost trying to hose it up. And the hoooooooommmeee of the braaaaaaaaaaaaaave.

One of my pet peeves is people who try to sing the Star Spangled Banner who clearly cannot sing a note, or if they do sing, try half assed or get the words wrong. There is no excuse for getting the words wrong.

I have been to literally thousands of sporting events of all types and if someone gets the song right, it can be uplifting. Wayne Messmer is by FAR the best singer of the Star Spangled Banner I have ever seen. I have seen him at Blackhawk and Bear games, and I think an Illini game or two. Lets try this out.



Geez thats more like it. If I am not mistaken the Star Spangled Banner is one of the hardest songs for anybody to sing, much less a post like Hillary. It is because of the incredible range you need, two or three octaves if my memory serves. I prefer the sax or some other instrument to a botched vocal anthem any day.

Beyonce did a pretty damned good job before the Super Bowl last year, which the Seattle SeaChickens lost. Not Messmer quality, but very good nonetheless.

Added - whoops, my bust, this was the super bowl before last year, not the one that Seattle lost.

No comments: