Malkin's blog is one of the highest trafficked ones on the web. According to her sitemeter, she gets over 100k hits per day. I have no clue how she found Carl's post - probably google - but I am thankful that we were cited by someone as famous as her. And I am also thankful that she actually gave us the link and used Carl's words in quote marks, rather than somebody like the Chicago Tribune, that just STEALS our work and REPRINTS it and doesn't even give us credit. Then when they are called on it, just DENY it. Anyway.
Things I learned:
- Malkin's readers read her blog to hear what she has to say, not what others are interested in, nor the sources she uses to create her posts. I always assumed this, but not to this extent. That link she gave us garnered us a total of less than one thousand hits. BFD.
- Ann Althouse's readers, on the other hand, seem to be much more interested in reading the background on her posts. Her blog averages 10k hits per day, but her click-through when she linked about my shaved head gave us over two thousand hits. Not a day goes by where I STILL get a hit or two from that post. That was back in April! It will be interesting after the initial week or so to see if Malkin's link keeps giving residual hits to the extent that Althouse's does.
- Malkin has a lot of trolls. From the comments to Carl's post, you can see that some insane people have decided to comment. I usually don't put up with that crap, but have left it up there to prove a point. Those people didn't find our post by accident and are not our normal readers. Those people found the post because they are obsessed with hating Malkin and whatever she does. Can you imagine sitting around at your computer and hating somebody so much that you go around and comment at their links? Bizarre, but true. I read Althouse's blog daily and was happy that she opened up the comments. She has her share of trolls, too but is very good at deleting their comments, which I think is great. I love comment discussions, but when you get haters that are completely irrational it ruins it for us sane people.
- We get linked on a semi-frequent basis by ChicagoBoyz. Those links usually give us anywhere from 500-1000 hits per link. ChicagoBoyz averages about 1k hits per day, making their click through percentage the highest of all three of the blogs I am comparing. Almost every commenter that has made a comment here that I recognize as a regular commenter over there is top notch.
- Good luck making money blogging. There is a reason that pretty much all bloggers have real day jobs.
So thanks for the links to everyone. I have to admit, it is interesting to see what the different links bring to us - or what they don't bring.