Tuesday, April 04, 2006

A Little off the Top, Sides and Bottom, Please

For once in my life fashion trends have eased my way.

I am fortunate in that I married a wife that actually has enough sense to put her foot down when I try to leave the house with mismatched socks, half of my collar flipped up or a tie that doesn't match. I am proud to admit that when I go on business trips I have to make my wife set up my wardrobe like"garanimals". Except we don't use animals. I have my wife mark the outfits the big grown up way and we use numbers instead. Pants number 1 goes with shirt number 1. Pants number two goes with shirt 2, etc. I actually make her do this with post it notes attached to the clothes with safety pins. I know you are laughing at me, not with me but it's OK.

Its just that clothes and fashion in general have never interested me in the least. If it were up to me I wouldn't even own a suit, just a closet full of t-shirts, jeans, shorts, boxers and my biking outfits. Some socks too. Fortunately in the biking world nobody seems to care about color schemes so those outfits don't need to be censored by my significant other. But there is now a fashion trend that I can relate to and have just participated in.

Regular readers of this blog know that my wife and I have been watching Prison Break, the hit show on Fox. Note the hair styles? Many men are going to the buzzcut. As soon as my wife saw that this was "fashionable" she gave me the go-ahead to do it. The results:

I love it! Do you realize that it used to take me something like 2 minutes every day to dry, brush and gel my hair? This will save me approximately 10 hours over the course of a year not having to mess with that stuff! And it is fashionable! I guess. At least that is what I am told.

The woman that did it at the haircutting place was very nice. She said that the buzzcut is, in fact a huge fad right now and that they do one or two a day in there. They call it the "combover of the new century". Remember the combover? Where aging men would use the hair on the side of their head and comb it over so women would think they have a full head of hair? The hair stylist also told me it hurts her when aged men make her fluff, primp and puff their hair when they really don't have much on top. I am getting thin up there myself. She went on to say that she would much rather men just shave their head than dink around with a tiny bit of hair up there. She also said I looked pretty darned good with my new buzzcut - she got a pretty good tip.

An interesting aside: The hairdresser used her hand to put my head into a good position for her to cut my hair. Her hands were cold - I could feel it through the skin on the top of my head. A feeling I have never had before - kind of weird.

There never was the Hair Club For Men in my future. I have never understood why men aren't a little more self confident. If you are 38, unless those twenty-something pretty young things are totally whacked out on drugs and/or alcohol they won't ever give you the time of day no matter now much hair you have (strip bars excluded). The older women (I would guess) understand that when some men get old they lose their hair. Hairlines recede. So what gives?

Back to the hairdresser. Do you believe that she said that men are typically much more concerned than women with the way their thinning hair looks? This is partly because women have more options like hair extenders, coloring, wigs, and other things.

Well, I have always wanted to shave my head for some reason or another. Funny, I now have the same hairstyle that I had when I was 3 years old. The more things change...

UPDATE: I have received an unbelievable amount of traffic from this post as several blogs have found this interesting. Many emails and now a comment wanted a "before" photo. Well, here you go - be kind:

18 comments:

Anonymous said...

NEXT TIME YOU WANT A BUZZ CUT CALL YOUR DAD

Dan from Madison said...

HA! I could have saved $13 on the haircut - but trust me, my dad's tip would not have been so good.

peter hoh said...

My hair isn't thinning, but it has a mind of its own. I've got a nasty cowlick that will only begin to behave if my hair on top of my head is three inches or longer. About 14 years ago I started going with the buzz.

Every so often, I treat myself to a haircut, but mostly I get it cut at home. Lately, I've been letting my 11 year old daughter cut my hair. It's not like she can do any damage when the clipper has the #2 guard on it, and later I have my wife trim up the edges.

Dan from Madison said...

Mine was a number one. I like the idea of the kids doing the haircut. May try that - I am sure they would think it is fun.

graphix said...

I always enjoy your blog, and today's was a riot! I am always telling my husband that "garanimals" needs to make a line of adult clothing for men!! Sounds like hubby is in good company! The only downer of the blog: Please tell me that as a 38 year-old, I'm not in the "older women" category quite yet!!!! ;-)

Laurie said...

That's hot.

Rick Lee said...

The photo of me on my blog is me with my "new" short hair cut. It's been a year now but it's still new to me. It's not nearly a buzz but it's short for me. I had been arguing with my barber for a long time to cut it shorter. He kept telling me that I couldn't do that because it would stick up in funny ways because of cowlicks. I was in Atlanta last year and I went to an expensive styling salon and told the nice lady I wanted it short and told her what my barber said. She said "we got products for that, don't worry". So now I have to put "leave-in conditioner" on my hair to make it lay down. Looks pretty good. If I could lose some weight I'd go for the buzz or even shaved I think. My wife used to tell me "bald is ok... fat and bald is not ok". I ride my bike a lot but I eat even more.

sonicfrog said...

I've been buzzin' for a while. I love the "no maintenance" aspect of it. I wish I would have started long before I did (isn't that a Crosby, Stills, and Nash lyric?). Next time get out a razor and do a smoothie. That is a unique feeling. But do it only if it's not too cold outside. You'll be surprise at how much insulation your hair provides.

PS. Words of caution. Don't do a fresh smoothie in the middle of summer and then go jet skiing all day. Painful!!!

Signed - The Voice of Experience.

Dan from Madison said...

Sonicfrog: I considered the smoothie, but the hairdresser talked me out of it. I think I made the right choice, but may try the smoothie someday. Hey - baby steps.
Rick: I am a biker too. I did my first century last year. It will be weird riding with no hair - I wonder if the sweat will drip down more in my face. I think I may need to buy a "do-rag". That may help me not get a sunburn on my head, too. Imagine how that would look with all of those helmet lines on my head. You are right about the fat and bald thing - not a good combo. Eat less!

kaos said...

Be careful, after I buzz my hair down I invariably get a head cold even in the summer.

mt said...

I started shaving my head about 2 years ago, and it's great. You will never go back.

triticale said...

I might do the same thing if my hair started thinning, but at 55 it is still thick, healthy and dark, and my hairline as receded only a fraction of an inch. I also have that nasty cowlick which shows up at about three inches, and I deal with it the same way I have for decades, by keeping my hair tied back in a ponytail.

Dan from Madison said...

mt: I have only had the buzz for a couple of days and think you are right. I don't think I am going back. We will see what the wife says about that, though. As I said in my post, she is the fashion police at my house.

Anonymous said...

I shave my head every day. Costs me a 14 cent Bic every couple of days. Been doing it since my hair thinned out so much that it took on a mind of its own every time I stepped outside and I'd look daffy with my hair going every which way.

So instead of buying haircuts, I buy the odd bic and a hat every so often. First it was the buzz cut - the next wave will be men wearing hats. Warm hats. My sympathy for seals has waned since I put on a seal fur hat. Soft and warm. Very warm.

sonicfrog said...

PS. Dan, you should post a before and after picture of your hair.

Dan from Madison said...

Done.

Anonymous said...

Suggestion: try growing a goatee; it complements a bald head very well.

Do post your wife's inputs :-) ....

Astro said...

Dan,

It's your head, dude, so rock on. Realize that it will never get back to where it was. Then again, some chicks dig the bald/chemo look.

When I was in flight school, our boat class made a bet that if we qualified on the carrier we'd shave our heads. Qual rate was about 25% at the time, so each of us figured it probably wouldn't even be a factor. Amazingly enough, all seven of us qualled. The first two of us carried through and shaved our heads. The other guys looked at the two of us who looked like we'd just escaped Dachau and backed out. Pussies. Not like Skaterat and me.

I wouldn't do it again, but then again the only guy I've kept in touch with since then has been Skate. I suppose it was a bonding experience, if nothing else.

So, I guess what I'm asking is - did you lose a bet?