Tuesday, March 07, 2006

Smith and Wesson Model 17-3 Range Report

I purchased this revolver last summer and I gotta tell you, it is an absolute dream. This is a Smith and Wesson Model 17-3 in .22LR, made when I was not even one year old - more on that later.

I am not sure if this is true, but I would think gun owners tend to lean to models that emulate the first gun that they own as far as preference goes. I sure do. My first gun was a Smith and Wesson Model 13-2, .357 revolver, made in the same frame size as this revolver. Since then I have had an inclination to keep buying this type of revolver - I like the looks, the legend, the history, and, most importantly, I can shoot them 'till the cows come home and never wear them out. On with my range review of this wonderful .22LR revolver. First a bit about my choice of .22LR. I was taking my 13-2 to the range all the time but after a while the .38 rounds wear you out. Sure, it is no .44, but this .22 is no .38 either. The .22 ammo is very cheap, practically everywhere and the gun has virtually no kick. The gun is a bit on the heavy side, though. Posted by Picasa

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Range report? Heavy? Who cares! How does it shoot? What ammo does it like? Give a range report.

Dan from Madison said...

I will be honest with you, I think blogger cropped some of this post - you can see it is from back in '06. Of course, it shoots like a dream.

Roger said...

I have one almost identical to this. It fails to eject some fired ammo, especiallly the Rem. yellow jacket hollow points. Any ideas on the remedy for this. (chg ammo ??) Federals do the same thing after 25-20 rounds.
Great shooter. Hate to have to force out the empties.

Dan from Madison said...

I agree, sometimes the casings are tight in there. I noticed that Rem Oil on the ejector rod definitely helped but I think finding the right ammo is the best trick.

Anonymous said...

Several issues come to mind. First, clean the cylinder with a bronze brush and a good solvent. Secondly, I would avoid any and all "Hyper Velocity" ammunitions as they tend to stretch the cases making it difficult to eject at times. Third, the S&W Masterpiece and Combat Masterpiece are the Top of the line in the .22 rimfire field of play. They are accurate, nearly indestructible and gorgeous. They will provide a lifetime of service and are true works of art.