Saturday, March 25, 2006

Normally these guys aren't so cute

They recently opened a PETCO store near my condo in river north. I had a good time milling around the store, and I may get a fresh water aquarium or something like that.

In any case, these rats caught my eye, and they looked pretty cute as they lounged around, well fed, in a big cage.

Normally these rats aren't so cute. Many times I have seen the rats scurrying around the streets in Chicago, although they are way faster than my ability to spot them with a camera. They are usually black / grey and they have a nasty looking pink tail. One time I walked out my back door and was face to face with kind of a cute little grey rat that just took off between the stairs in the middle of the day.

I think the cities must be rat heaven. All of the garbage, the great hiding places, and the relative absence of predators make for a rat dream-land. One thing that is a gross-out is the signs saying that you should curb your dog because rats feed on dog waste. Ewww that is pretty nasty. Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mamablogger thinks they look like Dan and Carl waking up on a Sunday morning in Champaign, Illinois a few years ago !!!

Dan from Madison said...

Who says we ever went to sleep?

Carl from Chicago said...

Dan is the one who never sleeps... I would be the rat who is still trying to get some shut-eye