Friday, March 17, 2006

I Will Take a Poached URL, With a Side of Flaming Server

I have firmly believed for quite some time that Michelle Malkin is probably the worst blogger on the internet. In her blog there used to be interesting and well written essays. Since she has gained traffic (one of the highest trafficked blogs on the web) her blog has sunk to basically name calling, screaming and reposts of other essays. But that is what stupid people want - never to be challenged, have their opinions reaffirmed, and not a lot of surprises. That is why you are here and not there - you want to be entertained, educated, and challenged (I hope).

But I still look at Malkin's blog every day. I look at it because I always need to remind myself that there is another world out there, the world of successful, money making blogging - and it ain't pretty. I also look at that blog daily to remind myself of what NOT to do. However today there is an interesting post about another blog. The blog she is writing about is called Betsy's Page. The proprietor of Betsy's Page is named Betsy Newmark. Ms. Newmark has guest blogged over at Malkin's and she is just as crappy a blogger as Malkin is. I have never learned one thing from either of them.

Blogger, owned by Google, is the platform that this blog rides on for FREE. They have had some major issues the last week and it seems that Betsy's Page, which also resides on Blogger, is lost for now. There is a lot of wailing and gnashing of teeth in the blogosphere about this, even a full page published on Instapundit appealing for help. It's nice to have friends in high places I guess.

If this blog ever gets lost, I don't think I will be able to get this type of attention from anyone. I am glad I do this for fun and don't take it too seriously - reading some of Betsy's rants on other web pages I get the feeling she is about ready to throw herself off a bridge.

She conveniently omits the fact that Google supplies this service 100% for FREE. I also assume that Ms. Newmark and any of the other blogs hosted on Blogger donate exactly zero of their profits back to Google for maintaining the servers and creating new features for all of us to use like Picasso (a photo generating software program that is used seamlessly with Blogger).

So the long and the short of it, I laugh at this person and don't feel sorry for her. Once in a while things happen. They will get it fixed and all she is out is a few days of traffic.

The best part is that while her blog was down some enterprising person poached her URL and set up "Betsy Page" (note different from Betsy's Page). Now this really cracked me up - the internet at it's finest. The guy was named Sam and the comments over there were pretty damn funny. The page is down as of now as Blogger is now catching up to things - seemingly.

**Update - the poached site is back up as of 12.30pm Friday.

I think this is why so many people hate the big bloggers - they are so full of themselves that they think it is actually a big crisis when their blog goes down for a few days. My advice is for Ms. Newmark and all of her adoring fans is to try out a new recipe, go for a walk or read a book. Everything will be OK. Meanwhile, I hope that all of these people put themselves back into proper perspective and realize that 99.9999% of the population in the US doesn't give a shit about them, their blogs or their fans. I think that is tough for bloggers who have over 1,000 hits per day to understand - that they are still small and that their content mostly sucks. Don't believe me? Spend a day over at Malkin's, or on Besty's page once it is back up and running.

No comments: