Tuesday, March 07, 2006

I am not quite sure if the grips are the originals or not. They look to be Smith and Wesson grips, but could be some aftermarket jobs. They feel great too and I won't change them. All in all, a great day at the range and after we got it dialed in, a very accurate gun that I will enjoy for a long time.

I mentioned previously that this gun is only six months younger than myself. How did I find that out? For those not in the know, if you ever purchase any Smith and Wesson gun, for $30 you can order up the history of that gun from Roy Jinks, the historian at Smith and Wesson. This particular gun was shipped from the factory on July 24, 1969 and delivered to Sutcliffe Hardware Company in Louisville, Kentucky. Everything looks original except the grips which Jinks says originally were checkered walnut - these look to be some other material, but no matter. So how did it get from Kentucky to Wisconsin? I would love to know. But for now, I will start creating some of my own history with this gun - at the range. Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

ScottG said...

I recently purchased a used model 19-5 and my grips look like yours. Perhaps not original, but maybe something S&W sold as replacements.